Suggestion: read-only and text paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: read-only and text paste

I really like BC2, but there are two (minor?) omissions I would like to see fixed.

1. Quick way to set the diff as read-only. The only way to do it today is to either create a session with read-only folders (clumsy if I want several folders) or create a rule that calls an external program (that does nothing) and set the result as read-only (insanely clumsy). I would prefer a toolbar button (or clickable status bar label) that quickly sets either or both views read-only. The setting should be global for all rules and persisted between sessions.

2. A way to open an empty diff (i.e no files) and paste text into either view. We often recieve mails with text in them that I would like to diff without having to save the mails as text files first.

Other than that, great program

--
    Regards, Peter

Re: Suggestion: read-only and text paste

Hello,

1. You can use /readonly, /rightreadonly, or /leftreadonly command line switches to set that behavior by default. So you could create multiple shortcuts on your desktop, one that has readonly behavior, and one that does not, and drag the files to the respective shortcut you want to use in that situation. You can also set BC2 default behavior for the Shell Extensions from the Tools->Options->General tab, and provide the default command line arguements there for the Shell extension (right click menu from Windows Explorer).

2. Version 3 will allow this behavior with it's in-pane editing mode (like notepad). For BC2, you can use the File->Open Clipboard menu to 'paste' into the currently selected pane. So just select the left pane, then File->Open Clipboard, then select the right pane, then File->Open Clipboard.

Does this help with your requests?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

1. You can use /readonly, /rightreadonly, or /leftreadonly command line switches to set that behavior by default. So you could create multiple shortcuts on your desktop, one that has readonly behavior, and one that does not, and drag the files to the respective shortcut you want to use in that situation. You can also set BC2 default behavior for the Shell Extensions from the Tools->Options->General tab, and provide the default command line arguements there for the Shell extension (right click menu from Windows Explorer).

Great, but I still would prefer a button in the toolbar

2. Version 3 will allow this behavior with it's in-pane editing mode (like notepad). For BC2, you can use the File->Open Clipboard menu to 'paste' into the currently selected pane. So just select the left pane, then File->Open Clipboard, then select the right pane, then File->Open Clipboard.

Ah, didn't know this! That will probably do just fine, thanks.

--
      Regards, Peter

Comment

There is another feature that may meet your needs: In BC3, Text Compares can be saved as sessions. This way, you could create a folder of common Text Compares, and mark the sides as read only as appropriate.

If that is not quite what you are looking for, could you describe your workflow? What steps do you take currently to do a certain task? Which part of this task needs to be Read-Only sometimes, but not other times?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X