Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating CRC Comparison

Hi,

I'm a new user looking for a comparison program to sort out a messed up directory structure I have.

I've examined Beyond Compares features and it seems to do everything I want except the one biggy explained following,

What I have is a large directory structure which contains multiple versions of the same file, possibly renamed. Here is a simple example of the type of problem I’m trying to solve:

Folder 1
    -File 1 (CRC1)
    -File 2 (CRC2)
    -Folder 2
    --File 1 (CRC1)
    --File 3 (CRC3)
    -Folder 3
    -- File 4 (CRC1)

What I want to be able to do is identify that File 1 (or actually CRC 1) exists 3 times, once as Folder 1/File 1, once as Folder 1/Folder 2/File 1, and Folder 1/Folder 3/File 4. Is there anyway Beyond Compare can help me with this problem?

For an even simpler case I tried the following
    Folder 1
    -File 1 (CRC1)
    -File 2 (CRC1)

But I was unable to get Beyond Compare to recognise this as the same file (‘Ignoring file name if you will’). Is there any way Beyond Compare can help me with this simpler problem?

Thanks for your help .

Re: Evaluating CRC Comparison

The current version of Beyond Compare does not support this behavior automatically. Duplicate detection is on our wishlist for a future version of Beyond Compare.

You can manually compare different files (you can select both and Compare Contents), but it cannot currently search based on that criteria.

There will be a public beta of version 3. It will probaby not contain Duplicate Detection, but may contain other features that make manually comparing in your example easier. Your feedback during that period would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input. If there are any other questions/comments, please let us know.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Any ideas on when the public Beta will be out? Even just roughly?

Regards

Comment

We are aiming for near the end of the year. We want to get a few more features implemented before starting public beta. We want to test both the software in terms of stability, and in initial impression of the interface and tools.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X