Port to Mac OS X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port to Mac OS X?

Are there any plans to port 'Beyond Compare' to Mac OS X? - I am currently thinking of switching back to the Mac after a few years on Windows; the only thing that really keeps me away from it is the lack of a good diff utility: I have been testing 'Beyond Compare' for a few days now on Windows, and it has proven to be extremely useful to me so far, in other words I really wouldn't want to switch without it (or an adequate replacement). And there are obviously other people who stronly agree on that ... :-)

Re: Port to Mac OS X?

We are still considering a Mac port. Right now our developers are focusing on Beyond Compare 3 for Windows and Linux, which we hope to release towards the end of this year.
    Another issue is that BC is written in Delphi, which is not available in OS X.
    Once version 3 is out, we'll take another look at the possibility of an OS X port.

The announcement thread on our Forum is here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbthread...page=0#Post6574

A few of our users have had good things to say about running BC on Intel Macs using CrossOver Mac.
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbthread...page=0&vc=1

----
    Addition:
    From my support experience, the biggest hurdle for checking files on the Mac are the illegal character names. Since BC is a Windows program, it cannot allow for certain illegal characters in the names of files and folders. During your testing, if you can avoid using them, you will probably have better luck.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,
      I looked at the posts re Crossover. Thanks. I immediately got it, installed it, and ran into a wall! I have 2 large drives, USB/Firewire types that I am trying to sync (over a day on this now). I am not unix savvy, but reasonable familiar w/ the way of things. Except this! I cant figure out how to get the data across these drives! And the Crossover system doesnt seem to create a reference to them either.
      Any help?

Details:
      2 large drives
      1 nsft (windows) 750gb
      1 mac format 1tb (western digital)

Both drives show in Finder.
      I can copy from win to mac drive (which is all i need to do... so i can reformat it to fat so both systems can r/w)

Apologies for being so long.
      I am beginning to despair just thinking about it!

Michael

Comment

We don't have an intel mac here (and technically do not support Mac), but I can help where I can.

You mention that the two drives show up in the finder. Do they then not show up in the application (bc)? What is crossover doing if not creating these references (is it running correctly)?

If you would like, email support@scootersoftware.com
        a few screenshots of what your problem looks like, and I can take a look.
        The more screenshots the better.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Doesn't the Linux port use QT? Seems there is a QT version for OS X...would make porting quite a lot easier, wouldn't it?

Stig

Comment

Yes, the Linux port uses QT, but the language BC is written in is Delphi. Delphi isn't supported on the Mac, so it would make an OS X port a big project.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Have a look at lazarus - http://lazarus.freepascal.org
              It is currently running on OSX

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion to look at Lazarus. We've done a few tests with it on OS X. We'll be considering as on option if we do work on a Mac port of BC.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

If/when we do a Mac port, we will want to use native OS X interface elements. AFAIK, lazarus doesn't have a usable cocoa (or carbon) interface yet. Once they do, that option will be a lot more attractive to us.
                  Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X