Minor install irritant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor install irritant

Every time BC is re-installed, it wants to restart XP to install the Explorer extensions. I don't think this should be necessary even the first time, and surely it shouldn't be necessary every time?

Re: Minor install irritant

The reason BC needs the reboot is if the Shell extension has been installed, or needs updating. We don't necessarily update the Shell Extension everytime, but often enough for you to notice the rebooting.

Windows locks the file necessary for this install/update. The only way to replace it is for Windows to reboot. This can be avoided if you do not install the Shell Extension.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Well, other programs are able to enable and disable shell extension using a check box in options menus. Is there something different about BeyondCompare which makes this impossible?

Comment

FWIW, every time I've upgraded BC it has never asked for a reboot - until today. I upgraded from 2.4.3 to 2.5 on a Vista box where UAC is enabled. The checkbox to install the extensions was not checked.

Comment

We rarely replace/update the Shell.dll which requires the reboot. Not including the Betas for 2.5, it hasn't been updated since early 2.4. Incrementally, between different versions of 2.4, this Shell.dll has not needed to be changed by the installer.

The checkbox during the install does not control whether the file is updated. Even if it is unchecked it will still try to replace the file with the newer version if the newer version of the program contains a newer version of the Shell.dll. If that file is currently in use by Windows (controlled by how Windows handles its Shell extensions), it will then ask for the reboot.

This can be a bit confusing, and we are looking to redesign the installer for version 3.

Hope that clears things up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

----
          -Aaron,Scooter Software

Comment

You can access whether the Shell Extension is Enabled or Disabled in the program from the Tools/Options/General Options: Include Beyond Compare in Explorer Context Menu.

We are looking at how to redesign this workflow to make it less confusing for version 3.

If you have any other questions, you can contact us here, or via email @ support@scootersoftware.com

Thanks for your feedback.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X