Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comp. file groups in different folder structures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp. file groups in different folder structures?

I have two large groups of files, each of which are in different folder structures. I know the base folder for each group, but the folder hierarchy from base downward is different on each side. Thus what files are in what sub-folders varies.

Is there a way BC can "flatten" the folder structure, make a list of files from base folder downward on each side, and just compare the files, ignoring what sub-folder they're in?

If not, any other suggestions on how to compare the files?

Re: Comp. file groups in different folder structur

Beyond Compare doesn't have the ability to flatten the folder structure in the current version (2.4.3). We do intend to add this ability in a future release.

In the current version, your only work around is to copy the files to two temp folders into a flattened folder structure, then compare the two temp folders.

You can copy files without the folder structure using BC's Actions|Copy To Folder command. Before using the "Copy To Folder" command, View|Expand All, then Edit|Select All Files. In the "Copy To Folder" dialog, select "Don't Keep Upper Folder Structure" to flatten the folder on copy.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, that's a decent workaround. I wouldn't have figured it out by myself. I tried it and it works well.

However there may be filename collisions during the copy, which causes a prompt and requires a user decision on how to handle.

Another interim solution I found is using the command line utility xxcopy, very similar to the XP built-in xcopy. However it provides various filename management options when flattening directories during a copy.

I think a "directory flattening" comparison feature would be a great upgrade to Beyond Compare; glad it's under consideration.

Comment

I'm looking for this functionality too.

Comment

Hi, I would like to add my support to allowing an "ignore folders" option. Is there an ETA on delivery of this feature?

Comment

Comparison ignoring folders probably won't be in BC 3.0, but there is a good chance it will be in one of the following 3.x releases. We hope to release 3.0 towards the end of this year, so ignoring folders might be available sometime after that.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X