X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mreith
    New User
    • Apr 2007

Feature Request: Support for Amazon S3

I would like to synchronize files and folders to Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). After evaluating a number of S3 products nothing works well for me. Since S3 is fairly cheap to use it would be really nice if BC could synchronize with S3 similar to its FTP capabilities.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Feature Request: Support for Amazon S3

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will add this to our feature wish list.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I haven't been able to find anything decent either, so resorted to use the GUI based beta 'S3drive' from suchwerk.

So I support Mike's request wholeheartedly!

FYI: I've checked
      Jeremy Zawodny's list and John Eberly's blog

Comment

• whahoo
        New User
        • Jul 2007

Hi,
        I have found that a combination of Jungle Disk and BC2 works well, Jungle Disk maps a drive in windows of your S3 bucket. I use BC2 to sync local folders to the mapped drive.
        Jungle Disk caches the BC2 actions and uploads/deletes to S3 in the background.
        Jungle Disk

Thanks,
        Simon

Comment

• SillyRabbit
          New User
          • Aug 2007

I, too, found my way here because of Jungle Disk. I have ~80 gigs of data (including home movies, which is the bulk of the capacity) that I want to back up and yet not go broke doing it. (Yes, I already back them up to an external/USB drive, but I wanted an additional backup, preferably something offsite and more reliable than 25+ DVDs.)

Of course, because of the large amount of data I want to backup and because ISP's cripple upload our speeds (to try to stop spammers), the entire process of getting everything initially uploaded will take MANY months. (Sigh) The backup program I'm looking at (SyncbackSE) doesn't seem to play nicely with S3 files, when it comes to comparing. In SBSE, it seems you can either compare the date/time stamp (which on S3 files is always going to differ from your source files) or go bit by bit comparison. (If I live to be 100, it would not finish!) So far, I'm interested in BC because it can do a "file size and CRC" compare, which is probably the most practical method for what I'm doing.

Anyway, I realize the initial post is old & the OP may have resolved their problem. But I have been trialing BC, comparing what's on my hard drive with what's on my Jungle Disk virtual drive & so far, BC seems to be working just fine with Jungle Disk. (I'm trying to find out what I still need to upload to a specific folder on Jungle Disk after pausing one SBSE backup (it had been backing up for 30 hours & I really needed to reboot my computer) and another one being halted because my computer took a dive.)

The interesting thing (to me) will be the output to file. (I'm currently running my first compare with BC & it's still in progress.) I'm hoping the output to file option will be helpful enough to help keep me well organized during this long, tedious process of getting all the stuff initially uploaded.

(I console myself with the fact that once everything is uploaded onto Jungle Disk, most of the movies (translate BIG FILES) will not be changing & therefore not need to be re-uploaded to JD.)

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Let us know how your initial tests turn out. If you have any questions, feel free to post to the forums or to email us at [email protected]
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jdmarch
              Fanatic
              • Oct 2007

Silly Rabbit:
              I think that a "quick compare" would actually be quicker than a CRC compare, because in the quick compare, the remote read will stop as soon as there's a mismatch, but with CRC, it has to read the entire remote file every time.

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Currently that's only true for disk-based (local drives, mounted drives, unc paths). Zips and FTP connections will download/extract the entire file before performing the quick compare. Given the trouble we've consistently had with aborting FTP transfers cleanly, I don't see that changing.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...