No rules based compare for identical files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stumpii
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2008

No rules based compare for identical files?

I have found that rules do not appear to be used for the rules based comparison if the size and date of the files being compared are identical. This is when run from the tree window.

I found this because I have a rule which executes an external program that appears in the tray. I started noticing that the icon sometimes appears and sometimes it does not. The other reason I noticed is because the external program introduces a difference between the two files. These differences would be highlighted when using the file viewer, but would not when running compare contents in the tree window.

I can understand it operating this way to reduce the time required to compare a large amount of file that are identical, but I think that a note should be added in the help file that the rules will not used if the files are identical. A check box to always use rules would also be nice.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: No rules based compare for identical files?

In the Folder Viewer, rules-based comparison criteria does a binary comparison of files first. If the binary comparison is a match, it marks the files equal and doesn't go on to do a rules-based comparison of the files.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Is this documented in the help file? If not, can it be added? I spent some time checking my rules and the external programs to try and find out why it was not consistantly working.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I don't think this is documented in the help file. I'll make a note to document this the next time we revise the help file.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...