X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubs
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Help! I've lost all my Sessions.

All of a sudden all my BC sessions were lost. Session.bcse is in the place it should be but it is almost empty. (I need to look no further for a reason to change to Single-directory mode, I suppose.)

I think I already know the answer, but is there a way to recover my lost sessions? Why did this happen? My computer is sigle-user and I made no system upgrades or anything like it since the last time I used BC (i.e. this morning).

TIA
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Help! I\'ve lost all my Sessions.

Hi Rubem,

Unless you have a backup of your session files, I don't think there is a way to recover your settings.

The best way to backup your settings is with the Tools|Export Settings command.

I've had a handful of other users report problems like this, but we've never been able to determine the cause. I discussed this with our lead developer Craig, and he said the only possibility he can think of is if multiple sessions of BC were running and they were all closed at once.

If you have many BC sessions running at the same time, and they are grouped into one task bar entry, then you close them all at once from the task bar, they can give an error about writing the settings on exit. I've seen the error message when closing multiple copies of BC, but it has never blanked out my session files.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• rubs
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the quick answer. I do have backups of some of my sessions, but not all of them. I don't remember closing multiple sessions at once, but it's not impossible I did that although I never got an error message. So I have no further info for you. Perhaps you should try to generate this problem yourselves, this is a really nasty bug!

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Rubem,

Sorry again for the loss of your sessions. I've tried reproducing this a few times in the past, but haven't had luck. I'll give it another try.

I've also discussed this problem with our developers, and they'll work on ways to make the settings system more robust for BC3.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• bfrancis
          Journeyman
          • Nov 2013

The same just happened to me. I was using BC4 in a script and launched it many times. I had to kill it in TaskManager to get control back. When I started her up again all my sessions were gone.

I use ShadowProtect and mounted my C: drive from earlier last week. Where can I go to recover my sessions?

Thanks,
          Brian.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4 for Windows stores settings in the folder:
            C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• bfrancis
              Journeyman