Help with external rule needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with external rule needed.

Newbie question but I did browse BC forums and couldn't find an answer...

I need to execute different programs for left and right pane before loading the texts to compare. I read and tried the external rules settings but can't figure out how one can pass a parameter (like left/right) to the external exe or batch file. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help with external rule needed.

In the Rules setup, you can specify an external program to run prior to comparing, but I think you can only specify one command, but can specify both files.

I would suggest trying to run a batch file and run each program on the appropriate file. Specify the command for Run when loading as

Code:
    cmd.exe convert.bat %s %t
    where %s will be substituted with the left file and %t will be substituted with the right file.

In you batch file, you can do something like

Code:
    convert1.exe "%1"
    convert2.exe "%2"
    Look at the section entitled File Conversion Rules in the help file for more specifics.

Comment

Re: Help with external rule needed.

In addition to the help, there's an article that explains how external conversion works at: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...conversion.php

In short, it isn't possible for external conversion to determine if a file is a left or right file. The conversion is called separately for the left file and right file.

Also, the variables %s and %t are for a single side, not both sides.

As example, if you have a program that converts .foo files to .txt files, you would specify:

FooToText.exe %s %t

%s is the source something.foo file, and %t is the output file name, something.txt.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
      X