No announcement yet.

can I keep date when file copies to new location

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As it was mantioned two years ago I'm just gonna ask are any plans to preserve creation date of files during copying?

Comment

Preserving file creation dates is supported in Beyond Compare 4.1.6, although it isn't on by default. To turn it on, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon). In the Handling tab, check "Copy creation dates".
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Preserving file creation dates is supported in Beyond Compare 4.1.6, although it isn't on by default. To turn it on, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon). In the Handling tab, check "Copy creation dates".
        https://secure.scootersoftware.com/v...9376#post49376
        Here you mentioned it being added in 4.0 - Bit confused from which it was added so that we can test it.
        Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        It's in the base 4.0 build, but I would recommend using the latest minor build of BC4.x. The option is in the Folder Compare Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab to "Copy creation dates". Please note that this is only for files, not folders, and works during the Copy command. This option specifically controls Creation date, not Last Modified or Accessed. Last Modified is always attempted to be preserved, but this is under the control of the destination device. Last Accessed is not preserved.

Comment

All 4.x updates are free for 4.x users, so any user running 4.0 can update to the latest (4.1.6) for free. It's generally recommended to be running the latest release for any potential bug fixes and features.

The option is present in 4.0.0, and is in the same location I describe in the quoted post, but I would still recommend updating if possible for all the changes we've made:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...zz=v4changelog
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Is the feature available via scripting yet? (See my post #42 above)

Comment

Not as a discreet option, but you can enable it in scripting by loading an empty session with just that option enabled. Script actions are sequential, so if you load a saved session, then load folders, we load those folders into the saved session. For example:

load "SessionwithCopyCreationEnabled"
              filter "*.txt"
              load "c:\folder1" "c:\folder2"
              sync update:left->right
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Could this option not be set by default (Tools/Options) instead of per folder preset ?
                Once forgotten, one needs to reset the folder dates.
                I myself use a tool for that, but that is only done afterwards and it would be nice to have at least the -option- to have it defaulted.

=

=

Comment

Originally posted by bcdewul View Post
                  Could this option not be set by default (Tools/Options) instead of per folder preset ?
                  Seconded. If one agrees with the principle that the default setting should be safest one (e.g. losing least info), this default needs changing -- at least optionally.

Comment

Later...
                    Maybe there is a solution: Home, New, Folder Compare, then edit defaults, 2nd tab, tag the option and save.
                    and in the separate sessions, once created, tag the option ("Copy creation dates") and the drop down menu below it
                    "Also update session defaults".

However, AFAIK, it does not copy creation date of the -root- folder though/
                    =

Comment

Originally posted by bcdewul View Post
                      Later...
                      Maybe there is a solution: Home, New, Folder Compare, then edit defaults, 2nd tab, tag the option and save.
                      and in the separate sessions, once created, tag the option ("Copy creation dates") and the drop down menu below it
                      "Also update session defaults".

However, AFAIK, it does not copy creation date of the -root- folder though/
                      =
                      Which root folder?

It does copy in this case: http://i.imgur.com/gsalK6L.png

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                        Which root folder?

It does copy in this case: http://i.imgur.com/gsalK6L.png
                        I hadn't the time anymore, this morning, to post the screenshot I created
                        here it is.
                        In folder compare click on the 'Home' button in the toolbar
                        Maybe this helps.

Comment

I don't see there any evidence of BC failing to copy a root folder creation date.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. Ignore the above, I was on the wrong track... again ignore the above.

I meant this..

Comment

Hello,

Updating the global Default on the Home screen applies for all future graphical sessions. Scripts will always run with Factory Defaults, but you can add:
                              load <default>
                              as the first line to load the default graphical settings first, then continue like the original suggestion.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I've been anxiously reading this thread going back to 2007, and finally got to the good part (it's been implemented in 4.0!) but then....realized it only seems to be an option in the Windows version? Ugh....so sad please add to Mac. We all need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X