Off-screen differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-screen differences

When using side-by-side viewer with Line Detail turned on, there's a feature I'd like to see that doesn't now exist.

Differences in the lines shown in the Line Detail are in red. I'd find it useful if, when the lines are longer than the screen width (so there's a horizontal scroll bar), there were a visual indication if there are (other) differences that I'm not now seeing.

Now, if there's any red text in the displayed section of the Line Detail, I have to scroll right to look at the rest of the line, because there might be differences there as well. (If I just want to know _if_ there's red text to the right, I'd know if there's no visible red text.) My suggestiont is painting a narrow vertical red line on the end(s) of the line that have marked-in-red changes that are not currently visible.

Take these sample lines.
    Code:
    abc def ghi jkl mno pqr
    Xbc def ghi jkl mno pqX
    If my screen is only wide enough to show 15 chars, I'd want the initial display to be (using the | char to replace the red bar I imagine)
    Code:
    abc def ghi jkl|
    Xbc def ghi jkl|
    with the a, X, and | in red. If I scroll slightly to the right (so the displayed text has no red) I'd see
    Code:
    |def ghi jkl mno|
    |def ghi jkl mno|
    with the |s in red, and if scrolled all the way to the right
    Code:
    |ghi jkl mno pqr
    |ghi jkl mno pqX
    with the r, X, and | in red. I would think that this would be easy to do. In BC3, perhaps?

Thanks.

Re: Off-screen differences

It occurs to me that I'd also like this at the top of the screen. Then I wouldn't even need to look down to the Line Detail if there's no "you're not seeing (all) the differences" marker.

Even in over-under layout this would be useful, so I'd know whether to scroll horizontally to see other changes.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add this to our wish list for a future release of BC.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

This is a great suggestion. I've missed a few differences because they were off screen, as you say. If you accept votes for feature requests, consider my ballot cast

Comment

Working...
        X