Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an "Ignore File" option for rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an "Ignore File" option for rules?

Hi all,

I'm trying to o compares on large filesets (source code) and I'd like to ignore several files (and maybe even folders) during the comparison. I couldn't find any options to do this. Is there anything that would do what I want?

If not, please add a new comparison rule. I'd imagine it would work like a new file comparison rule, but on the rule dialog, there could be a checkbox to ignore all files that belong to the rule. An additional option would be nice, too, to specify how these files should show up in the comparison list: always matching, always unimportant or always different (regardless of the actual content.)

It'd be nice, too if I could specify that certain folders in the folder tree (with a certain name or with certain files inside the folder) should be ignored. I'd use these features very frequently, so it'd save me a lot of time looking through changes in files.

Otherwise BC is a good program.

Thanks a lot,
    gbozoki

Re: Is there an \"Ignore File\" option for rules?

In advance of a more detailed reply, note that in my setup, under the Tools menu, Options selection, Folder View category, I've added a filter that says
    "All but $$$ (*.*;-*.$$$)"

This was discussed in the forum earlier, and the Scooter Kids (Chris,probably) pointed out the use of the right-click "exclude" feature, which is a way of creating the filter mentioned above.

If you're looking for something along the lines of "in folder A ignore files B, C and sometimes Y"...that may be more difficult.

/dps

Comment

<slap on forehead> Silly me, I didn't realize it was there. I actually didn't even look in the menu, because the rest of the program is so intuitive that I hardly ever open the menus - I normally use only the popup menus. (I noticed that it's there, too. )

To me this was something of a rule setting, so I was trying to find it there at all costs.

As a wish for a new version, I think it'd be still nice to be able to have a saved list of excludes (that have more than 1 file extension in the list), to easily specify a set of files to be excluded. I don't think the File Filters in the options would allow that, but I'll need to do a bit more reading on that.

Thanks again!

Comment

You can edit a saved list of excludes for the File Filters: dropdown in the Folder Viewer section of Tools|Options as the previous poster suggested.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X