No announcement yet.

U3 / Portable version of BeyondCompare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U3 / Portable version of BeyondCompare?

I have started moving all of my regularly used programs to a Thumb Drive so that I can use them on any computer. However, in order to do so, there needs to be non-install version available (either portable on their own, or using the U3 protocol).

Is there any thought about doing this with Beyond Compare?

Thanks,
    ~chip hayner

Re: U3 / Portable version of BeyondCompare?

Use BC's "single-directory mode" to set up a portable copy on your thumb drive. It's described in the help file un the "Managing Stored Settings" topic.

The help topic doesn't mention it, but be sure to place your license key in a text file called BC2.key in the same folder so BC will come up registered.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Will this portable version of BC make any traces on visiting computer?

Would any changes happen to the registry entries?
      Will any cache and/or temp files be created?
      Any leftovers?

Comment

If it's in single directory mode and your registry key is also in a file named BC2.key, BC won't write anything to the registry.

If you use the FTP or zip support BC will create temp files, but unless it crashes it'll clean them up when it closes. If you don't compare either FTP sites or open zip files it won't create temp files.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

I am just testing now.

The whole BC was installed with "single-directory mode" instructions, on my removable USB hard drive.

The installation directory on this hard drive includes the license key as well (BC2.key file).

I don't have BC functionality in my explorer context menu. Is this expected for portable version of BC?

Comment

Yes, that's expected. The Explorer extension has to write to the registry to work.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

How could I set up BC3 in U3? All the posts I found regarding U3 or removable media are for BC2. I couldn't find any of the topics mentioned in the Help file.

Comment

Hello tystam,

This should be available in the next release of BC3 (3.1.4). I have written up a KB article on installing BC3 on a U3 device, but you will want to wait until the release of 3.1.4 before attempting to install. Otherwise you will end up with a couple extra registry settings.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                X