match on a key field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• match on a key field

I'm new enough to Beyond Compare to be unfamiliar with the rules based matching and have probably missed something obvious.

I have a simple situation where the first field in a file is a key and the rest of the text may change. When I ran a compare with an unsorted set of files the line matching was pretty good (not perfect). When I sorted both files on the key field the match got worse.

My question is how do I get Beyond Compare to use the first n characters to do the "match" and then the rest of the line to do the compare. The results I am getting are like:

AAAAAA BBBBBBBB
    ...................................AAAAAA BBBBB

where I expected these two lines to match (and be shown on the same line) and few missing B's from the first file be highlighted.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Tom

Re: match on a key field

The File Viewer isn't designed to align on only part of the text in a line.

The best option for this might be to use our Data Viewer plug-in, which allows you to specify a key field, then sort and align on that key field.

If you still want to do this using the File Viewer, you can tweak the comparison rules to do this. I discussed it in this forum in the past at:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbthread...;page=&vc=1

Let me know if you want to use the File Viewer and the above post isn't clear enough.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X