Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identical files are shown as different

Hi,
    I have a bunch of VHDL files to compare, saved in different folders.
    The problem is: when I compare the files, ALL files are shown as "different" (grey on left side, red on right side) with no character in the middle column.

When I then watch the difference details by double-clicking on one file, some files do not have any differences shown in detail view.
    And, after I leave detail view, there is a "=" in the middle column and both files are shown black.

What am I doing wrong?

My software: BC V.2.3.1 (Build 231), german.

Regards, Martin

Re: identical files are shown as different

You can configure Beyond Compare to automatically examine the contents of files in a folder comparison. Select Sitzung | Vergleichssteuerung (Session | Comparison Control) and enable Inhalt vergleichen, Regelbasierter Vergleich (Compare Contents, Rules-based comparison).
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

I found it. It is working now as expected.
      I had to remove the date/time comparison and set binary comparison.

Thank you, Tim.

Comment

oops. The last post was from me as well.
        I did not log in...

Again: thanks, Tim.

Comment

Hi,
          I am having the same problem - when I select a group of files and "Compare Contents," it shows that several files are different, but when I open each file in the viewer, some of them are identical. I tried changing my settings as recommended - I do not compare timestamps, and I compare contents using "binary comparison." But I still have this problem. Can anyone help me?
          thanks,
          Sarah

Comment

Binary comparison does a byte by byte binary compare of the files. When you open files in the File Viewer, it does a rules-based text comparison. This can ignore some differences, such as whitespace differences or differences in line terminator style (Windows vs Unix line terminators).

To get matching results, use Rules-based comparison for Actions|Compare Contents or for Session|Comparison Control.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi, I'm looking for a way to persist the settings I make on the 'Comparison Control' tab. Seems each time I open BC for a new compare at folder level, I need to reset these. (my selections are no timestamps + Size/CRC)

Thanks.

Comment

You can save the current folders and comparison criteria as a saved session by using Session|Save from the menu.

If you want to change the defaults for all new comparisons, select Session|Set Default and click the "Set current settings as defaults" button.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Brilliant!! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X