X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xtree
    New User
    • Sep 2006

Mirror a directory

I just downloaded BC and trying it out. I have a directory on a desktop machine I want to keep a backup on a network drive. I created a session and synced left to right. I then created a test.txt file on the left side. I then tried to mirror the session and got a message "Nothing to do". The test.txt file is highlighted in Blue on the left. What am I doing wrong?? Do I have to start over and mirror the directory, can you mix sync and mirror?? Thanks
  • chrroe
    Pooh-Bah
    • Oct 2007

Re: Mirror a directory

Hi Greg!

Look at this knowledgebase-article: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...othingtodo.php

Bye
    Christoph

Comment

I read that faq and made sure time stamp was on. I can sync but mirror doesn't work. Is there any special I need to do for mirroring??

Comment

• markf_2748
        Expert
        • Apr 2008

Yesterday I definitely encountered the same problem described by Greg with regard to being unable to mirror a directory and getting the "Nothing to do" message. However I cannot reproduce it today and unfortunately I have lost track of which session I was in at the time.

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

As long as you have the comparison criteria correct, orphan files should be copied by the mirror command.

The only other reason you might get "Nothing to Do" is if you have "Just Selection" or "Only affect visible files" checked in the Custom Sync dialog.

If that isn't the reason for the problem, please send me a zip of your settings using Help|Support and the Export button, along with a screenshot showing your files/folders in Beyond Compare and I will look into this further.

You can send them to [email protected]
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• markf_2748
            Expert
            • Apr 2008

Yesterday I definitely encountered the same problem described by Greg with regard to being unable to mirror a directory and getting the "Nothing to do" message. However I cannot reproduce it today and unfortunately I have lost track of which session I was in at the time.
            My problem was that "Only affect visible files" was checked and I had a new file in an unexpanded subfolder. Once I either (1) expanded all folders or (2) unchecked "Only affect visible files", then the mirror worked just fine. This case is covered in the last line of the link given by Christoph in post #6771 above - I just did not recognize it.
            MarkF

Comment

• xtree
              New User
              • Sep 2006

Chris thanks Only affects visible files was it.

Comment

Working...