Large Directory compare / copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Directory compare / copy

We are contemplating comparing/synching two directories on two different machines (actually two different cities) using BC. The main directory contains about 160,000 directories with 2 sub directories in each; each directory containing a single file - total data ~27 gig.

We would like to compare our local machine to the remote machine via a UNC connection. The connection bandwidth is about 60MB.

Are there any limitations in BC that would prevent this compare from working?

Re: Large Directory compare / copy

I don't know of any specific reasons why BC won't handle this comparison, although we haven't tested this exact scenario ourselves.

Known limits on file size and number of files are listed at:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...largefiles.php
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Actually I do compare huge folders, where 12 subfolders each around 200000 files and 20-40 GB, so total comparision around over 2 000 000 files. It working very very well

Comment

We are using BC2 scripts to compare filesystems a few hundred GB in size, containing millions of files which are roughly 100kb in over a thousand subdirectories. They are on two different machines, but on the same network. We use UNC paths, or map drive letters - BC doesn't seem to care, but it is faster for local drives.

Version 2.3.1 sometimes would fail due to memory resources on the larger comparisons (>400GB), but when it didn't it produced reports as requested. I'm trying v 2.4.1 to see if /3GB will speed things up a bit.

Comment

Limits for the folder viewer are usually based on the number of files and folders compared, not the size of the files, unless you're using rules-based comparison criteria.

Please let us know how using the /3GB switch works out for you.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X