Is it possible

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible

Hi all,

After searching Synchronization Programs for a while, i found beyond compare. Great software ...

(From my post on sitepoint forums)

Right now my project can be divided in to 2 section.

Development part is on my local computer. There is 1 folder which contains my files and folders to be uploaded to the ftp server.

Online part is on my ftp server. There are more than 1 folders which contains exactly same files + folders at my local development folder with simple config differences.

If i have to draw it;

|Local Computer
    |-- Dev Folder
    |-- | --- Folder
    |-- | --- File1
    |-- | --- File2

and

|FTP Server
    |-- Setup 1
    |-- | --- Folder
    |-- | --- File1
    |-- | --- File2
    |-- Setup 2
    |-- | --- Folder
    |-- | --- File1 (slightly changed config file)
    |-- | --- File2
    |-- Setup N ...

According to my tests its possible to compare and update files on ftp server via rule based compare + sync to right method.

But as you can see, i have N folders to be updated.

Is it possible to export a log of "files and folders to be updated" and use it in other sessions ?

I already excluded special files from different setups. I am updating core files from my local development folder.

Thanks

Re: Is it possible

It seems there aren't any shortcut for this ...
    Also for better comparison BC have to download all files right ?

It will be better if there is a shortcut for a project like mine. Otherwise my update process will have to complete about (N x single setup file/folder size) download ...

?

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Re: Is it possible

You might be able to do this using Beyond Compare.

BC doesn't have the ability to compare one folder to many targets using the current version.

If you just want to export a list of changed files, you can do that with the Actions|Folder Comparison Report command.

If you want to export the actual changed files, you can also do that with Beyond Compare.

Load two folders.
      View|Display Filters|Only Mismatches.
      View|Expand All.
      Edit|Select All Files.
      Actions|Copy to Folder.

For the destination, either specify a folder to copy changed files to, or if you specify a zip or tar.gz file as the target, it will create an archive file with the changed files.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Another option is to automate the update with a Beyond Compare script, then call the script for each target folder.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...