Korean doesn't display correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean doesn't display correctly

I'm trying to compare two Multilizer files. Japanese and Chinese displayed correctly but Korean doesn't.
    Does BC 2.4.1 support Korean?

Re: Korean doesn\'t display correctly

Just noticed the same problem! Japanese and Chinese displays correctly in BC 2.4.1, but Korean characters display as squares.

Support for Korean is installed correctly in the system, the same file viewed in Notepad displays all doublebyte languages correctly.

File is in UTF-8 encoding, Win XP Pro SP2, English.

Comment

If Korean support is installed in Windows, BC can display the text contents of Korean files.

BC should auto detect UTF-8 or Unicode files, but if the Korean text file is in some other encoding, you'll need to pick the correct character encoding to open Korean files. In the File Viewer, select Tools|Edit Current Rules. In the General tab, pick the character encoding from the Character Set dropdown.

If the files are displaying as squares, it means the font BC is using doesn't support Korean characters. To change the font, select Tools|Options. Go to the Fonts section. For File Viewer Text, click the "Select Font..." button. Select a Font that supports Korean. On my system, the DotumChe font supports display of Korean characters.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Once 'DotumChe' font is selected for the File Viewer, Korean characters are displayed correctly.

Thank you very much for all your help Chris and keep up the fantastic work.

BC Rocks!

Comment

Chris, I'm sorry to say that, but you are not quite right ;-)

I do have Korean support installed on my system and I'm able to display Korean without problems (e.g. in Notepad).
          If I open the file in question in Notepad, it displays correctly.
          The font I'm using is Windows' built-in Courier New, which DOES include Korean support.

And now comes the point:
          If I select a line with Korean text, the line appears on the bottom of the BC window in the "Line Details". It still displays squares instead of the Korean Characters... But if I now doubleclick in the Line Details to start editing the line, the Korean characters appear correctly! And when I press Enter to finish the editing, Korean characters are again displayed as squares...

It's pity that the forum doesn't allow file attachments, I'd post a screenshots... I'll send an example file and screenshots via e-mail as a bugreport.

Comment

Evzen sent screenshots, and I was able to verify this bug.

The problem seems to be font specific. The problem doesn't seem to show up if the font is set to DotumChe.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Evzen,

If the font supports it (like DotumChe does), BC will display Korean text correctly. Despite appearances to the contrary, Courier New does *not* support Korean text.

By relying on Internet Explorer, it's possible for a program to display characters that aren't included in the current font. Notepad under XP uses it and BC2 does not. When you edit text in BC it uses the same editor that Wordpad does, which provides a similar technology without using IE. So that's why the characters show up when you edit the text, but not when BC is just drawing it normally.

Anyway, BC3 will use the same technique that Notepad does, so it will work all the time. Since BC2 works correctly if the font does support the characters, this isn't really a bug, and it won't be changed in 2.x.
              ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X