Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incremental backups

Can I do incremental backups with BC?
    The only thing that I need is that after a folder comparison, BC creates a new folder with say the date and time and saves ONLY the files that have changed in that folder.

If this is possible, and works fast enough (e.g., skipping files that have the same date and size as an option), BC could replace my backup software, currently syncBackSE.

Thanks a lot

Re: incremental backups

It's possible using scripts. For example, I coded the following just to test:
    Code:
    log verbose backup.log
    option confirm:yes-to-all
    load backup-e
    expand all
    select left.newer left.orphan
    copyto left path:base c:\backup-2006-05-22
    I have a session I call backup-e where I have defined comparision criteria, files to be excluded, etc.
    The script just loads the session, selects files on the left that are newer and/or orphans, and copies (using COPYTO to the specified target directory. You would probably have to use substitutions (%1, %TMP%, etc.) to specify the target directory.

Edit: By the way ... I never thought about doing incremental backups, but this idea should save me some CD Media

Comment

Thanks a lot, very interesting.
      Is there any place to read the docs for the scripting language? And how about a log of success and failure copying files? Also, can BC copy files that are in use by other processes?

If so, I can see a very good backup solution building up...

Sorry for the simple question but how do you create a session? I'm using the demo still, and cannot see the option anywhere.

Comment

Thanks a lot, very interesting.
        Is there any place to read the docs for the scripting language?
        The online help file has script documentation.

And how about a log of success and failure copying files?
        The 'log' command can be used to log activity. You would have to examine it to view errors.

Also, can BC copy files that are in use by other processes?
        If other processes have a file opened with Deny Read access, then no, BC will not be able to open/copy the file.

Sorry for the simple question but how do you create a session? I'm using the demo still, and cannot see the option anywhere.
        I'm not sure about the demo version, but normally, you select your comparison critera (directories, options, etc) and then select Session -> Save as to save the session configuration.

Comment

Nice, I have to test this.
          One quick question. How far away is v.3? Do I have to pay again if I buy version 2.4 -pretty high v. number...- now?
          Thanks a lot

Comment

I am just a user of BC, and have no knowledge about any upgrade policy for V3. But, I did find this http://scootersoftware.com/shop.php?c=upgrades. Keep an eye on it for updates, or maybe someone with the company can answer your question.

Comment

Version 3 is still a little ways off. It is likely that version 3 will be in public beta towards the end this year.

If you purchase v2 now, you'll receive a discount on version 3 based on the time between your v2 purchase and the release of version 3. When the version 3 release gets closer we'll post an official policy on our website.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Chris, Ernie,

I'm playing around with the scripting language. It looks like for this idea to work the script has to copy only a selection, not the entire tree.

For example, I want to backup some of the contents of program files, but not all.

If I create a session, ctrl + click the ones I want to select, and save, the script using that session is still copying the entire tree.

Any workarounds?
                Thanks a lot

I don't see anything in the reference guide

Comment

I found it myself, I have to edit the folders included in the session profile. Thanks anyway

Comment

Ok, now I have found a bigger issue.
                    To make incremental backups with B C work, I need to compare the target directory to the initial (full) backup -e.g., let say it's the 1st of the month)- AND to all posterior backups simultaneously (e.g., 1..5-30-2006).

to do this, B C needs to do two runs I guess. In one, it would combine the full and all the incrementals, and in a second pass it would compare to the resulting directory.

This is probably too much to ask for this program. Or is it?

Definitely this would be a killer feature that would put many backup programs (that are charging more than what B C costs!) to shame.

Thanks a lot

Comment

You can do this with one comparison against a snapshot.

A snapshot saves a listing of all files and folders in a base folder.

The procedure is:

Make an initial full backup.
                      Save a snapshot of the files at the time of the backup.

1.Compare the current state to the snapshot file from the last backup.
                      2.Use Copy to Folder to copy different files to incremental backup location.
                      3.Save a snapshot of the current files.

Repeat 1,2,3 for each backup.

If you need help writing a script to do the above tasks, please let me know.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X