BCShellEx.dll issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCShellEx.dll issue

I have some problem using latest BC 2.4 beta.
    In my testing machine I also have installed Lugaru Epsilon v13 editor. When using Epsilon's dired command to display file properties dialog (Windows Explorer dialog), I'm getting an AV error.

Following Epsilon's author suggestion, I tried to detect a possible hostile shell extension that cause this issue. After disabling BCShellEx.dll, everything worked OK.

I will continue BCShellEx.dll testing, using some other applications that host Explorer's shell functions, to see if this is a BCShellEx problem.

Thanks

Re: BCShellEx.dll issue

I don't think this is linked to BC's shell extension.

I downloaded the latest beta of Epsilon, 13b9.

From Epsilon, I used Ctrl-X d to enter directory mode, and hit Enter to list the directory contents.
    I went over a text file and hit T to display the file properties.
    The file properties displayed without any problems.

This was with BC 2.4 beta build 238 installed.

If you think it is a problem linked to BC's shell extension, what are the exact steps you used to get the problem to show up?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris, I used exactly the same steps and Epsilon crashed, immediately after I closed the file properties dialog.

Then I used ShellExView to search for a possible incompatibility with a shell extension. The same problem exists even when using "File properties" from this utility, it crashed after the properties dialog was closed.

Using ShellExView, I've disabled all context menu extensions except BCShellEx.dll but that didn't fix the issue (in both E and ShellExView).
      Then I enabled all but disabled BCShellEx and voila, the problem disappeared.

Finally I reinstalled WinXP/Pro SP2 + all MS hotfixes + .NET v2 from scratch, in a second computer. Also installed ShellExView, Epsilon and BC2.4.238. Unfortunately the problem still exists with this setup.

I don't know why you cannot reproduce this issue, maybe something goes wrong with the rest software I use to install (legit WinXP/SP2 (English) copy, MS .NET v2 runtime + SDK).

Anyway I'll do some further testing and keep you informed.

Thanks

Comment

UPDATE: My latest setup is a clean Windows XP/SP2 + all hotfixes available from windows update. No .net or anything third party, not even drivers other than those supplied with Win.

Unfortunately I have exactly the same problem when using Epsilon (or ShellEXView) with BCShellEx.dll enabled. After disabled it, problem was fixed.

I'd appreciate any further help to fix this issue.

Thanks

Comment

I gave it another try on a different system, and I've seen an exception a few times when displaying properties from the directory view. It has been very inconsistent, maybe once every 30 or 40 times or less, so I don't know what is causing it.

This is probably something to take up with Epsilon's author. The author might be able to debug Epsilon to figure out exactly where the exception is coming from.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

This is probably something to take up with Epsilon's author. The author might be able to debug Epsilon to figure out exactly where the exception is coming from.
            As already told you before, it is not an Epsilon only issue. I have the same problem with exceptions raised when BCShellEx.dll is active, with other applications too. For example in ShellExView and other apps that host windows explorer's menu.

It has been very inconsistent, maybe once every 30 or 40 times or less...
            That's true with some setups but not all. In my setups most of the applications that have issues with BCShellEx.dll, crash immidiately after closing file properties dialog. Others, like mythicsoft Filelocator-pro crash on third - fourth try.

It is third day I have BCShellEx.dll disabled from my promary testing system and no application crashing has been noticed so far.

I hope you will find a fix.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Hi Sakis,

You should have recieved an email with a different version to try. Let us know if it works any better.
              ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Craig,

I've got your e-mail and BCShellEx.dll new version. It works with no application crash issues so far.

Really appreciate your help,

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X