Identical lines treated as different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identical lines treated as different

Using version 2.2.4 (build 222). First time I ever ran into this after a couple of years using BC.
    For the first 160-odd lines, the viewer looks as expected. "Just differences" selected and it shows only differences. Then it suddenly starts showing pairs of identical lines as different. These lines are identical not just visually, but in binary form. They end in 0D 0A. This pattern continues for the rest of the file. Some actually different lines and some, seemingly chosen at random, treated as different. At the bottom it claims 177 sections different, but the actual count of differences is maybe 30 or 40 sections.

Is this a known bug cured by a later release? I would be happy to send the files if wanted.

Re: Identical lines treated as different

Please try the files with our current release, 2.3.1. If the problem shows up there as well, please send a copy of the files to support@scootersoftware.com, along with a zip of your BC settings using Help|Support and the Export button and I'll look into it.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Installing 3.1 did not help, so I have sent the requested data.

Comment

Unchecking whitespace rules on the importance tab seems to workaraound the problem.

It was counterintuitive that tightening the comparison rules would generate fewer non-compares but the workaround works fine for my stuff.

Comment

The problem is a string literal that isn't closed.

In your rules you defined ' to ' as a string literal, making text inside single quotes important. Line 177 in your second file (V2.CLW, text "Don't reset") has an apostrophe, so BC thinks it is the start of a string literal. This is what is causing all the extra differences to show up.

To fix this, edit the string literal for ' to ' and check "stopping at end of line". This will prevent unterminated string literals from messing up the comparison of the rest of the file.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Chris, you nailed it.

However, noticing that this text appears in a Clarion comment, I took a different approach. I defined a rule describing a Clarion comment: starts with "!", terminated by line end. It now ignores "literals" in comments as it should. It is amazing that I have been using these rules for so long without running across this.

All is well. BC rules!

Comment

Working...
            X