Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you just paste in some text and diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you just paste in some text and diff?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe BC 2 has this feature, so I'm wondering if BC 3.0 might have it?

I'd like to be able to just open up BC, and paste some text into the left side, then paste some text into the right side, and have BC show me the diffs.

Add this to the wish-list if it's not going to be in BC 3.0. Thanks!

Re: Can you just paste in some text and diff?

In BC2, you can compare text from the clipboard by selecting File|Open Clipboard from the menu.

In BC3 you'll probably be able to just paste text directly into one of the sides.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Ok, thanks. But I'm using 2.3.1, and I see no File menu or Open Clipboard option? I only have Session, Actions, Edit, Search, View, Tools, and Help menus.

Comment

The Session, Actions, etc indicate you're in the Folder Viewer. File|Open Clipboard is only available in the File Viewer.

If you have BC setup to startup with the Open Dialog, select "New File Comparison" from the Open Dialog when BC starts up. Then you should be able to File|Open Clipboard.

If BC isn't setup to start with the Open Dialog, you can make it start that way by selecting "Show the Open Dialog" in the Startup section of Tools|Options.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, Chris!

Comment

I realize this is an old post, but I found it while searching for messages on the topic of comparing to the clipboard. I must say that this challenge of not readiy finding how to compare clipboard data seems to frequently recur.

First, to add to the info above, when in folder view, besides re-opening the app, one can also use session>open>new file comparison (leave the file fields empty if comparing only clipoaord entries, or choose one to compare that to the clipboard).

That said, I think a nice feature would be for the session>new dialog (and main front "open" dialog on startup) to offer "compare file(s) to clipboard" as an option.

Comment

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll work to make this easier to find in the future.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I tried Charlie's suggestion and the text I copied wouldn't paste.

I work with an IDE where the code is in a database and only available on the screen so there are no files that I'm manipulating.

While it wouldn't be hard to make text files of the different environs to compare, it's an extra step that I've never had to do with either either Diffdog or Araxis Merge.

This should be a no brain feature!!!

So while your product looks pretty snazzy I just cannot believe you have neglected to make this one simple thing the no-brainer that it should be.

It seems like you would start with this feature and build from there.

Comment

While it wouldn't be hard to make text files of the different environs to compare, it's an extra step that I've never had to do with either either Diffdog or Araxis Merge.

And you don't need to do this with Beyond Compare either! In the File Viewer, select File | Open Clipboard to load clipboard contents into either side of the comparison.
                  Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X