Next and Previous difference not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next and Previous difference not working

When I compare two relatively small files, BC says it sees 1 difference. The buttons for Previous and Next difference are disabled; clicking them gives a warning "Next (Previous)difference not found". However, in five lines differences are highlighted correctly. Selecting left or right file gets the same (incorrect) response. Is this a bug or am I doing anything wrong?

Re: Next and Previous difference not working

This is probably due to your settings for Next Difference.

By default, BC advances by section when you use the Next Difference command. If all 5 different lines are connected, BC considers this 1 different section.

You can change the next difference command to advance by line instead of by section. To change it, go to the File Viewer-Next Difference section of Tools|Options and select Advance by line.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Chris,
      I'm sorry, but that is not the case. The differences are in line 2, 4, 79, 107 and 135. They are also visible in the thumbnail view. When I change the setting as you mentioned, I get a difference on every single line (in this case, a space at the end of each line in one of the files). But these are not highlighted or shown in the thumbnail view. BTW, I use release 2.3.1

Comment

Are all of the lines being shown with a pink background? Lines with important differences have a pink background. If whitespace differences are important, but no other differences are present, you'll see a pink background and BC will consider all of those lines a single difference block.

If you select View|Show Whitespace you'll be able to see those whitespace differences.

The solution is probably to mark whitespace as an unimportant difference in the Importance tab of Tools|Edit Current Rules.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

One more thought.

Next/Previous difference cycles through all differences, Important (red) and Unimportant (blue). If your intention is only to cycle through important differences, please make sure you have View|Ignore Unimportant Differences toggled to on.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X