Folder Comparison Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Comparison Question...

Hi. I'm a new user to Beyond Compare, but already I am really liking it compared to other comparison applications such as WinMerge.

Here is my scenario. I need to compare to folders of a utility that contains many TCL files two see what changes have been made to each individual file, if any. I seem to only be able to generate a Folder Comparison Report which shows the files which are different. Is there any way I also have this report display the differences within the files? I know that this might produce an extremely large report. Also, is there a way to save this report to a file rather than simply printing it?

For example, say I have the following folder stucture:

C:\TEMP\Folder1\File1.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder1\File2.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder2\File1.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder2\File2.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder3\File1.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder3\File2.txt
    C:\TEMP\Folder3\File3.txt

Now let's say only \Folder2\File2.txt and \Folder3\File3.txt changed and I want to output those differences in one report without doing the File Comparison individually for each file.

Is it possible to for this with Beyond Compare?

Thanks!

Biff

Re: Folder Comparison Question...

Try a File Differences Report (from menu bar, Action -> File Differences Report).

Comment

Ernie,

Thank you for the response.

When doing a Folder Comparison, the Action -> File Differences Report is not available. It is only available when comparing two files.

Biff

Comment

The Actions|File Differences Report is disabled if any folders are selected. It is possible to select multiple files for a concatenated File Differences Report.

Instead of selecting all, use View|Expand All, then Edit|Select All Files. Actions|File Differences Report should be enabled in that case.

The current version of BC gets confused by archive files because Edit|Select All Files selects archives, but the File Differences Report command sees them as folders and disables itself. If there are archives present, you'll need to filter them out of the display.

Making the File Differences Report work regardless of folders being selected is on our wish list.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X