X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinsikes
    Enthusiast
    • May 2005

In-line difference not found

I am experimenting with different settings for character alignment in order to find in-line diffs for VC++ 6.0 project files. Here are the two lines I'm working with (each is a single line even if gets wrapped by forum formatting):
    # ADD CPP /nologo /MD /W3 /GX /O2 /D "NDEBUG" /D "_MBCS" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_AFXDLL" /FAcs /Fr /FD /c
    # ADD CPP /nologo /MD /W3 /GX /O2 /D "NDEBUG" /D "_MBCS" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_AFXDLL" /D ID3LIB_LINKOPTION=3 /FAcs /Fr /FD /c

When character alignment is set to simple or standard, the "find next difference in line" command indicates it can't find any in-line differences, although I can scroll over in the file viewer and see the diff:

If I set character alignment to column-based, then the find next difference in line command does show the diff, but it marks the rest of the line as one big difference since the columns don't line up:

Is there a way to have BC2 find in-line differences such as this one? I'm using version 2.3.1 and line alignment is set to standard/2400.
    Thanks,
    Kevin Sikes
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: In-line difference not found

Hi Kevin,

The next difference in line command only cycles through differences in the selected side. In your screen shot, it looks like you have the left side selected, which doesn't have any differences displayed. This is why Next Difference In Line isn't seeing a difference. If you select the right hand side, Next Difference In Line should cycle through differences.

Making Next Difference In Line optionally cycle through both sides is on our wish list for a future version of BC.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• kevinsikes
      Enthusiast
      • May 2005

Re: In-line difference not found

Thanks for the response, Chris. I hope this enhancement has a high priority on your list -- it's a workflow killer to go back to the previous line (since next difference in line moves to the next whole-line difference if no in-line difference is found), highlight the opposite side, and then execute next difference in line again.

Overall, I've been very pleased with BC2. Thanks for the excellent tool!

Kevin Sikes

Comment

Working...