X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZoŽ
    replied
    Re: Windows XP Professional x64 support

I have the 64-bit version of the DLL up and running. We'll have it fully integrated with BC2 and the installer in v2.4; for now there's just a .reg file to install it. Anyone who's interested can email support@scootersoftware.com and we'll send you the files.

Edit: The 2.4 beta has been publically released and the 64-bit support is now included in BC2 installer.

Leave a comment:

• acomenzo1
    replied

I'm running a copy VS2005 Beta 2 and was wondering about shell extensions as well. You're going to have to redo your code in 64-bit. Here's an "unofficial" reply from the M$ guys:

"Extensions to Windows Explorer, for example, menu extensions to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, must be 64-bit. If they are 32-bit, the application may work, but the Windows Explorer extensions will not be
    available. This is because any application can be either 32-bit running in WOW64 or 64-bit. But not both. And Windows Explorer is obviously 64-bit. So the application itself will work, but the extensions won't."

So there you have it. Hope this helps - Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• ZoŽ
    replied

We're using Delphi, which can't produce 64-bit executables yet. We have gotten WinXP 64 running and I just got the Visual Studio 2005 beta a few days ago, but I still have to rewrite the shell extension in C.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Any update on this? If you are using a Microsoft Compiler, all it should take is a switch on the compiler to make it 64 bit compatable (unless you are using non 64 bit 3rd party contorls)

Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Seeing the same problems here...

I don't think it's anything that Scootersoftware have done wrong, Microsoft changed things, as many shell extensions are broken, WinRAR WinZIP, BC, and others. There was a discussion on MS X64 Newsgroup the other week on how to fix things.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Not sure what complier you are using... Take a look at these

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/27474

http://www.devx.com/Intel/Article/27546/2046

Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I love your tool and have been spreading the word... I am currently using it on a x64 version of windows 2003 server... Basically you can only get the shell integration to work by switching back to the 32 bit shell... The shell options simply don't show up on the 64 bit context menus... Because the shell is 64 bit by default, it cannot communicate directly to any 32bit apps... So you would need to at a minimum build you shell integration in a 64 bit version, so it could build a command line and launch the app, or better yet, you just need to recompile it with the 64 bit build targets... Most apps do not require anything more than a recompile... The only snag, is that any 3rd party assemblies will also need to be 64 bit... All or nothing I'm Afraid...

Dan

http://www.danbartels.com

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

We don't have a Windows XP x64 system in our office yet, but we're working aggressively to get a system and start testing soon.

Do you have problems with any other shell extensions under x64?

When you say that the context menu doesn't work, how does it fail?

Does it fail during installation? Does it show up in the menu but not do anything? Does it throw an exception?

Leave a comment:

• Maarten
    started a topic Windows XP Professional x64 support

Windows XP Professional x64 support

Hi,

I switched to Windows XP Professional x64 last week. Beyond compare works without any major problems, only the context menu isn't working at all.

I hope this can be looked in too. I am not sure if Beyond Compare needs to be rewritten to 64 bit, or that it is just a simple bug to solve, but I would like to use the context menu of Beyond Compare on my new system too.

Thanks!
Working...
X