Need some help running BC2.EXE in a command line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help running BC2.EXE in a command line

I need to schedule an overnight folder comparison between two Windows servers. I was trying to setup a batch file or automated job to run this. I turned to Beyond Compare as I thought it would be simple to do .... but I'm struggling and have deadlines (don't we all).

Basically, I have got as far as running

BC2.EXE C:\compare left C:\compare right

This works fine - but i need to append any differences to a logfile and I need this to work as a Windows scheduled task.

Does anyone know what I need to add onto the end of that command to write the output logfile ?

Re: Need some help running BC2.EXE in a command line

Hi DanC!

Have you read the BC helpfile? There is a chapter called Command Line and Scripting . There everything you need is described.
    You may also want to look at the knowledgebase and the FAQ at the BC homepage http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php .

If you have further detailed questions, ask here again ...

Bye
    Christoph

Comment

Hi - I have looked at the help files and am struggling to understand exactly how to output the results to a text file. From looking at this again - should I be writing a script or still be looking for something to put in at the command line.

Sorry to ask but this is doing my head in

Comment

Hi DanC!

So the best is actually to write a script. Especially if you want to append reports to one big file it is advisable to embed BC in a DOS batch.

Search the forum for "folder-report" to see some example scripts.

In order to get concrete tips for your task you must provide more information about your scenery. Then we can directly help you ...

Bye
        Christoph

Comment

Working...
        X