Directory Attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory Attributes

I use BC2 to copy data/configuration files from my profile directory to a backup directory. One thing I noticed is that when BC2 copies/creates a directory tree, directories are created without attributes of the original directory.

For example, in my C:\Documents and Settings profile directory, several directories, including the "Application Data" and "Local Settings" directories, have a hidden attribute, but the directories created by BC2 are not given the same attributes as the original.

Is it possible to add this to your wish list for a future release?

Re: Directory Attributes

Hi Ernie,

Preserving directory attributes is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Great tool- I use BC for all my source control!
      But surely a Directory Copy REALLY SHOULD maintain the attributes? I use attributes in different ways, and I have to use Windows to do the copy, which is a pain..

Are you planning to fix this?

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi!

As far as I know this feature will be implemented in the upcoming version 3 of Beyond Compare.

Bye
        Christoph

Comment

This should be fixed in Beyond Compare 3.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chrroe and Chris both jumped the gun here: Copying directory attributes when the directory already exists is something we're considering for a future release. We have not committed to it for v3.

Under Vista, Explorer will set the read-only bit if the source has it, but it does not clear it if the source doesn't, and it doesn't copy the archive, hidden, or system bits or the last modified time. XP's Explorer doesn't appear to even copy the read-only attribute.

BC generally ignores both the DOS attributes the timestamps for folders. We're considering adding an option that would change that behavior, but the current behavior will likely remain the default.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X