Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incermental Backup when copying files

Greetings;
    Is it possible to gave incremental backups when copying files over?
    Suppose I am copying from C:\A.bmp over to Z:\A.bmp. and that Z:\A.bmp already exits. Then rather than having existing Z:\A.bmp to be renamed to Z:\A.~bmp and the new Z:\A.bmp being copied over, Can I have existing Z:\A.bmp t obe renamed to something like Z:\A.bmp_000 or Z:\A_000.bmp etc.
    The next time I copy over to Z:\A.bmp, Have the existing Z:\A.bmp to be renamed to Z:\A_001.bmp or Z:\A.bmp_001, and so on and so forth?

or even better have settigs to copy backedup copies to some other bese directory etc.

Thanks

Re: Incermental Backup when copying files

BC does have some basic backup options, but it doesn't do advanced incremental backups. Enhanced backup features are on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.

To turn on backups in the current version of BC, select Tools|Options. Go to the Backups section. You can check to backup on copy or save, and to save either in the same folder under a different name, or in a backup folder. This only provides a single level of backup.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Advanced!! What is advanced about prepending or inserting a 3 digit numerical block into a file name and copy it to some location.
      I wrote an editor and gave it the same functionality within 1 day to do invremental back up on save, I guess I should go work for nasa! No worries I put a directory watch on the working folder and use that to the increment.
      Thanks

Comment

Woops,
        Sorry, On second read that post sounds too arrogant, It was meant to have a joking tone to it. If anyone is intrested I can send the Incrmental copy routine (Delphi) code.
        Kind Regards
        Arjang

Comment

By saying advanced I meant it was advanced relative to the current backup options.

We try to add requested features whenever possible. It may be a small request, but with a high volume of requests and a small staff, it can take us some time to add a new feature.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X