Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add option to use left/right file as window title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris
    replied
    Re: Add option to use left/right file as window ti

Thank you for the clarification. I'll add your suggestion to our feature wish list.

Leave a comment:

• miked
    replied

Thanks for the tip on the title1/title2 option. But unfortunately that does not address my issue. My question had to do with the WINDOW title, not the title used for each file.

BC2 seems to always use the file name of the left-hand element as the window title for the instance of BC2. Using the title1/title2 option you suggest changes the individual lhs/rhs titles. If I did change title1 it would, in turn, change the window title; but Perforce does not have any variables available to give the lhs an appropriate name; whereas the rhs file already has a correct name.

A "windowtitle=left/right" (or 1/2) option is really what I'm looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

BC2 has command line options to deal with this:

/title1=xxx
    /title2=xxx

Will display the specified title instead of the gibberish name.

Leave a comment:

• miked
    started a topic Add option to use left/right file as window title?

Add option to use left/right file as window title?

I've used BC2 for about 6 months now, and I think it's great! I do have a simple suggestion that would make it even better in my environment.

I typically use BC2 in conjunction with Perforce source control, most often using the "Diff file against depot" option to bring up BC2. However, in this scenario (and many others in Perforce), Perforce generates a temporary file with gibberish for a name as the left-hand file.

Since BC2 automatically names the window title using the left-hand filename, the window title is also gibberish. If I am simultaneously diffing many files, the window titles are no help to determine which files are which.

For the time being, I have configured Perforce to call BC2 with the files in the opposite order ("%2 %1" instead of the defauls "%1 %2"). This has the effect of putting the new/edited file on the left-hand side, which is not what most people (including me) would expect.

A simple "Use left-hand/right-hand filename as window title" option would make this all simpler.
Working...
X