Connect as Different User with UNC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect as Different User with UNC

I need to compare files in a shared folder on a remote computer accesed via a VPN. Because the VPN isn't always up, I need to connect via UNC rather than a mapped drive. (I don't want Windows looking for the drive when the VPN is down.) I also need to connect as a different user. Is there some way in BC to specify the user name?

TIA.

Mick
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Connect as Different User with UNC

It isn't possible to specify the username for a UNC mapping through BC in a saved session. In some cases BC will try to prompt for a username/password if it can't connect as the current user. If you aren't getting the prompt, you'll either have to map it using Explorer, or specify it from the command line using the Net Use command.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrroe
      Pooh-Bah
      • Oct 2007

Hi!

I don't know whether it hits the point, but would it make sense to start BC via the RUNAS.EXE from Windows commandline?
      By doing so you can probably map the drives as a different user ...

Only a quick idea, no experience if it works.

Bye
      Christoph

Comment

I'm having the same issue - VPN connection, don't want to map the drive because it really slows down the PC when the VPN is down. I do get the username/password box, which is fine, but it doesn't work - no matter what I put in it. I have tried with and without the domiain name. However, mapping a drive works just fine... any help?

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Do you get any error messages after the username/password prompt fails? Do you see anything in the verbose log? You can turn on verbose logging by selecting View|Log|Verbose from the menu.

Do you have any problems opening the same UNC path through Explorer?
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• sgray128
            New User
            • Mar 2005

If I reboot, I get 'the network path was not found'; and a 'folder not available' box pops up. No amount of 'retries' will connect. I then go to windows explorer and click on the mapped drive. I get a password box. I key in the password, and close windows explorer. After that, I am able to connect freely with BC until the next reboot. I seems that explorer is opening some kind of a door. By the way, this is a great product. I make all my customers buy it!

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

It looks like you'll either have to map the drive or use the NET USE command to connect to the share as a different user. I'll add connecting to UNC shares as a different user to our list for a future version of Beyond Compare.

Thanks for all the support of BC.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...