X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBrubaker
    New User
    • May 2017

File won't open as writable

I have some unix/linux script files I'm comparing, but even though one of them is not read-only the save button is grayed out. I found a similar topic here with a proposed solution (link) but that did not fix my issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

A full screen screenshot would help us determine what factors might be marking these files as read only. If you are still having trouble, you can also email us at [email protected] along with a pair of files, and we can then try to reproduce your issue.

Common causes:
    - "Binary" files like Word Doc files or PDF files are not editable. BC4 supports opening and showing text, but cannot save back to these proprietary formats.
    - Opened from a Disable Editing location, such as under version control which has passed a read-only flag to prevent editing a file. Usually in a historical diff, a past version wouldn't allow editing.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• BBrubaker
      New User
      • May 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

A full screen screenshot would help us determine what factors might be marking these files as read only. If you are still having trouble, you can also email us at [email protected] along with a pair of files, and we can then try to reproduce your issue.

Common causes:
      - "Binary" files like Word Doc files or PDF files are not editable. BC4 supports opening and showing text, but cannot save back to these proprietary formats.
      - Opened from a Disable Editing location, such as under version control which has passed a read-only flag to prevent editing a file. Usually in a historical diff, a past version wouldn't allow editing.
      These files have been checked-out from version control and made writable. The parent folders are set to read-only since they are under version control, but BC (version 2.5.2) works fine for all of our other code source files in this environment. The exception is these scripts. I've attached a screenshot, with the with workfile (which should be writable, on the left). If this isn't sufficient I can go ahead and email the file(s) to you.

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The right-side has been launched in a read-only state (bottom status bar).

This doesn't necessarily mean the file has the Read-Only windows flag, just that it is set to Editing Disabled in the program. When launched from a version control, this is often done with the /ro1 or /ro2 flags to protect files that should not be edited. Which version control software are you using, and how is it configured to call BC2?

You could use a program like Process Explorer, and find the call to BC2.exe and view the status to see exactly the command line that was used to call and launch bc2. Could you provide this full command line log?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...