Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any command to load settings?

Hi,

I sometimes need to make BC2 portable and wonder if there is a command to load a saved settings (zip or xml file) so when I open BC2.exe, it has been configured already?

I understand that I can do it manually through menu "Tools - Import Settings".

Thanks!

Re: any command to load settings?

You can run BC so that it reads and saves all settings to .xml files. Export your settings as .xml files. Copy the Prefs.xml, Rules.xml, and Sessions.xml into the same directory as BC2.exe. Rename Prefs.xml to BC2.xml. Copy your license key into a file named BC2.key in the same folder.

This will make BC automatically read the settings from the .xml files and it won't read or save anything in the registry. You can use this to run BC from removable media without installing BC on the system.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Wow, that is cool. I will try it. Thanks!

Comment

Are your instructions good for if I want to install a single licensed copy of BC on our server so that multiple LAN users can run BC2.exe without having to install it on individual workstations?

Actually, I confess I just tried this, but when I tried to run BC2.exe (on the server) from my workstation I got the error message 'Access is denied' popping up in a dialogue box on my screen. I'm no LAN guru, so not sure if that error message is because of general LAN permissions/sharing issues, or whether BC doesn't like it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Sounds like it could be user permission problems with the directory share.

Try to copy one of the files (say BC2.EXE) to your local drive to check for read access, then try to copy any local file on your disk to that same directory on the server to check for write access.

Comment

It should work to install BC on a network drive and copy the bc2.key file there. You probably won't want to use the .xml files to store setting if more than one users will be running it at a time. If you use the .xml files, it will share settings between all users, so that might not work very well.

It should work fine to run it from the network drive, BC will save settings for each user in the registry and application data directory of the local machine, but you won't need to do a separate install for each workstation.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X