X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

In BC3 it will be possible to switch between line mode (like BC2) and full editing mode.

I'm not sure if full patch support will make it into version 3.0, but it is something we would like to add at some point in the future.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

What about adding a feature to keep the creation date when copying data within a windows enviroment. Right now the creation date is transferred with the copy. this is a feature of the robo copy command which I would like to see integrated into this software.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Preservation of file creation dates is on our wish list, but I'm not sure when it will make it into a release of Beyond Compare.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

How about copying NTFS/unix file ACLs? This is one of the things that keeps taking me back to ROBOCOPY when I'd MUCH rather be working with BC!

Comment

• Ernie
            Fanatic
            • Mar 2004

That should be an option. If copying from one computer to the other, user/group permissions may not be the same on both systems.

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Copying permissions (NTFS) is in the current version of BC (2.4.3), although it still has testing status at this time. You'll have to turn it on with a registry tweak. Details are at: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?c=kb_ntfs.php

As far as I know, the above test code for copying permissions isn't in our current BC3 private beta. We would like to include better integrated permissions support in the future, but I don't know what specific plans are for it.

Dealing with Unix permissions is also on our wish list, but we don't have anything specific planned for when we might have support.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• LiquidL
                New User
                • Dec 2006

Can I hope that in the 3 release I can find the really useful 'grep' function ?
                I continue to have the necessity to display in the BC window ONLY the files containing a specific string.

Cla
                P.S. I'm a registered user.
                We'd also find this a very useful feature.

Comment

It would be nice to be able to associate a note with individual sessions. That way one could be reminded of special processing or other session-specific information that may be required. I know there is the ability to have pre/post processing, but notes would still be nice.

Thanks,
                  Xavier

Comment

It would also be nice if you could generate a script from a selected session. That would make the creation of scripts much easier to create, modify, and update.

Xavier

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Xavier,

Thanks for the suggestions. Notes for each session, and generating scripts from sessions are both on our wish list for the future.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• drxenos
                        New User
                        • Dec 2006

Hi. I just purchased BC. If I has known a new version was imminent, I might have waited. Will there be an upgrade discount?

Thanks,
                        DrX

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Yes, we will offer discounts if you have a version 2 license. We'll post official upgrade information when we get closer to a release.

We plan to offer upgrade protection (free upgrade to BC3 standard for a 1 user license) for 1 year after a BC2 license purchase. After 1 year, we'll discount the cost of a BC3 standard license to half price.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• drxenos
                            New User
                            • Dec 2006

Excellent! Thank you.

Comment

I use BC2 to sync files between a FTP server and my machine.
                              It's a "wide" (>60 sub-dir on first level) directory structure, about 3-4 deep (sub-dir) at most, with a large # of files (approaching 300,000 files.)

I would like to see BC3 support multi-threaded FTP session (SFTP would be even better.) I would like to see the multi-thread support such that directory listing request are done in multiple threads to speed up the time in need to just get the directory list, as well as multi-thread WHEN syncing files.

It would be best if the number of threads of the above 2 can be separately controlled via options. (For example, I can see myself using 8 threads for directory list update and maybe 2-4 threads for syncing files.)

Thanks! Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Chris
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. Running multiple file operations at once is on our wish list.

In the current version, if your FTP server supports it, checking "-R" for recursive directory listings in the FTP>Advanced section of Tools|Options can help speed things up.
                                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...