• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: SSH/SFTP

Limejuice,

Thanks for the suggestion and compliments. Right now we're just working on 3-way merge for BC3.0, but we'll consider other merge scenarios for the future.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Re: Feature request (ssh/sftp)

Our company president Tim just gave me an update on SFTP support. He said it is our intention to include SFTP support in BC 3.0. We're still hoping to release it towards the end of this year.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Check out Bitvise Tunnelier. They have a nice FTP-to-SFTP bridge as part of their SSH client. It works well with BC2.

http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier

Their WinSSHD product is the best windows based SSH server I've used.

Comment

• gmooresrg
          New User
          • Jul 2007

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

We're a long time BC-shop. We've used it completely streamline sync of central content and disaster recovery. Here are my feature requests:

1. Total Bytes Transfered in logs - It would be helpful to have a byte count at the end of the logs generated by BC scripting that indicated how much data was transferred to each side of the compare as a result of a Sync operation.

2. Duplicate Folder Structure - A function that would allow users to duplicate a folder structure, but not the files contained within.

3. Move-aware Sync - Sync that knows if a file was moved and rather than deleting and re-syncing the moved folder, simply repeats the move command on the out-of-sync side.

4. Offline Sync - Most useful for taking documents on portable media. Sync that works like Windows Offline Folders, without the 2GB limit. (i.e. How Siber System's Goodsync works). The most helpful function here would be to enable users to restructure a folder system offline and then sync changes back to the original fileset. I can explain this more in depth if necessary.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I'll add a bytes transferred count to our wish list.

2. It is possible to duplicate folder structure using BC 2.4.3, but it is complicated. Making it easier is on our wish list for the future.

In the current version, load a folder comparison. Set the filter to "-*.*" to filter out all files. Select Actions|Synchronize Folders|Custom Sync. In the custom sync dialog, check "Create empty folders" and pick "Update Target on Right" for the type of sync.

This will copy the folder structure without copying any of the files.

3. Detecting moves is on our wish list.

4. We're working on improved syncing for BC3, and it might include something like this. Thanks for the suggestion.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• driden
              Visitor
              • Jul 2007

I've been asking for the ability to suspend file copies/moves etc. since version 1.? Is there any chance this is going to finally happen? I've been told in the past that it is on the board for the future but I'm beginning to give up hope.

The other thing I've wanted forever is the ability to see how fast the data is transferring. This would help in deciding what the best method is (USB, FireWire, FW800, eSATA etc.) is for doing the transfers. Often, interfaces do NOT live up to their billing. For instance, firewire is often faster tha USB 2.0 even though it is not supposed to be.

I love BC but it would be much more useful if it had these two features.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for reminding us about both of these features. They are both still on our feature wish list because we would like to add them at some point in the future, but I don't know if they'll make it into BC 3 or not.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Check out Bitvise Tunnelier. They have a nice FTP-to-SFTP bridge as part of their SSH client. It works well with BC2.

http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier

Their WinSSHD product is the best windows based SSH server I've used.
                  Thanks for pointing this out. It works GREAT!

Dax

Comment

• jouni
                    New User
                    • Nov 2005

Hi,

Just want to add my voice requesting SSH/SFTP support. I need to manage our company website material remotely and have only sftp access.

Another request: you mentioned somewhere detecting "moved" files and folders. Would it be possible to detect also "renamed" stuff?

Cheers,

--jouni

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We are currently testing integrated sFTP support in version 3.0.

Renamed and moved files is in our wishlist, but probably will not make it into the 3.0 release.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mrg
                        Visitor
                        • Aug 2007

Re: Feature request (integrated scheduler)

As someone who is not a big fan of Windows scheduler, I'd like to see an integrated scheduler in BC 3x. . I wonder if the development effort could be minimized by writing a wrapper around Windows scheduler. Users wouldn't have to leave BC to schedule a script. The "wrapper" would hide Windows Scheduler and automate steps like program selection and command-line parameter entry. Not a critical feature obviously, but it would be a welcome convenience.

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

MrG,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are discussing a wrapper for the Windows Scheduler that would run from within BC as a possibility for a future version of Beyond Compare.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mrg
                            Visitor
                            • Aug 2007

Thanks for considering it. I just ordered 6 licenses at work. The integrated scheduler would make life a little easier when managing multiple instances.

Comment

• ecroutha
                              Journeyman
                              • Aug 2007

Is there a potential release date for BC3?

Comment

• Aaron
                                Team Scooter
                                • Oct 2007

There is no firm date for the release of bc3. It is currently in private beta testing, with a planned public test later, and will hopefully be finished and released near the end of this year or early 2008.

We'll be sure to announce in the Announcements forum when such events take place, and as we get better date information. Check back later.
                                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...