X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockeiro
    New User
    • Mar 2007

Re: BC3 \"Editions\"

I have another suggestion for a feature that is easily incorporated into BC2. Wouldn't it be great to have a file append and file split function?

Comment

SFTP support! Please...

Comment

• IbnSaeed
        Visitor
        • Dec 2007

Can I get the beta version ?

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

SFTP support is something we are working on for version 3.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

We will be posting a more comprehensive list of BC 3.0 features in this forum. If you read through this entire post, you will find many features mentioned that are not in the initial post. We hope to re-organize and display that list in an easier, concise way.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Ibn,

If you are a registered Beyond Compare 2 user, send an email to [email protected] for beta information.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

If I understand the suggestion correctly:
                File Append = Add More text to the end of a file?
                File Split = Take a section of text out of a file and put it in a new file?

BC3 will offer full-pane editing mode (like notepad). So you should be able to easily paste text at the bottom of a file, or cut text out of it and place it in another file.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• IbnSaeed
                  Visitor
                  • Dec 2007

Just sent an email.

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Rockeiro,

Can you describe in more detail what you would like split and append commands to do?

Do you mean having an option for File and Folder Reports to append to an existing report file?

How would you like a split command to work?
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Can I buy version 3 pro cross platform version (linux / windows) now? Even if I have to use the current version until the new version is released?

Comment

• Tim
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

In general, no. But if you are in a "need to buy before the end of the year" situation, you can email me at [email protected]
                        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• bryand7
                          Visitor
                          • Feb 2008

Support for comparing files all on one line

I would like to see support for comparing files that are (usually) all on one line - like JavaScript.

I see two ways to support this:

1. have a 'virtual line termination' character like ';' - this would work great for JavaScript and many similar file types.
                          The file would be displayed and compared as if there were newlines at each ';' character.
                          For visualization and diff only (read only) this is all you would need to do so this would be very easy to implement.

If you want to support editing and saving the file that has been displayed with virtual newlines, then there is more work - so do that separately/later.

To support editing and saving a file displayed with virtual newlines, you would need a way to visually distinguish a virtual newline from a real newline and the ability to edit and create real newlines vs virtual newlines.

2. Have a preprocessor 'pretty' the code first and then do the diff.
                          Using rule based processing, add a preprocessor command (run before display and diff) and postprocessor command (run only if file is edited and saved).

Preprocessor would format the file with real newlines and indentation.
                          Post processor would remove all newlines and extra spaces/tabs.

This would be very powerful and not much work to implement.
                          There are already plenty of utilities that could be used as the pre and post processors. And users could write their own new ones for custom applications.

You could build in an automatic pre/post processor that would be very simple - append a newline after every ';', and strip all newlines/spaces/tabs down to a single space.

Hmmm - It would need to know the string and comment conventions to ignore ';' in strings and comments - you already have almost enough to do that in the Rules/Importance tab.
                          Would just need to be able to specify escape characters!

This would be very powerful and useful for much more than just javascript files.

Bryan

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Re: Support for comparing files all on one line

Bryan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The way we handle this right now is with an external conversion rule. It calls an external program to format a file before opening the contents for comparison.

Example rules are the HTML Tidy / XML Tidy rule and the Jalopy (Java code formatter) from our additional rules page.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...c=kb_morerules

For instructions on setting up your own code formatting program to be used by Beyond Compare, refer to: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...conversion.php

Also, for a tool you can modify to split lines based on arbitrary characters, see the following forum thread: http://www.scootersoftware.com/ubbth...=0&Number=9405
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Re: Support for comparing files all on one line

Right after I posted that I found the pre and post processor commands - external conversion. Oops. Sorry.
                              Thanks for the pointers on how to use this.

And I just found where string escape characters are defined too! Very cool!

I really love BC! I guess I still have more to learn about what it is already capable of

Bryan

Comment

• etailor
                                Journeyman
                                • Sep 2005

3 way right click explorer functions?

Question on right click from explorer.

In a 2 way compare, right clicking on the first file gets you a different right click for the second file. This is a really nice feature for picking the files/directories to compare.

Will this be extended for a 3 way merge. Usually I would have a file that was the precurser to 2 other files. I.E. the first file was edited by 2 people producing 2 other files.

I would like a feature that lets me right click on the precursor file and select something like, "base file". Then, once that is selected, the next click would be, left side to compare, and then after that, compare 3 way to "..."

I find this choosing of the 3 files (or 3 directories) to be the most tedious part of doing a 3 way merge (in all other merge utilities I've tried).

Also, there would be a 4th file or 4th directory that would become the target output of a merge. How is that going to be handled?

Comment

Working...