Reporting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting

I am using BC to detect changes on a directory structure on a weekly basis, (So basically I compare this weeks directory structure to a snap shot from last) When I use the report facility it will not detail the differences if a new Folder has been placed since the snap shot from the previous week.

HELP PLEASE

ANdy
    I am trying to create a report with BC basically showing
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Reporting

Hi Andy,

Are you using the latest release of BC?

Are the folders that aren't detected empty?

What information are you storing when you create the snapshot (CRC, version, etc)?

What layout are you using for the report? What report options?

Are you using any filters?

Are you running interactively or from a script?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Yes Latest version 2.2.2
      Yes they are empty?
      Snapshot CRC and Version.
      Report = Side by side,Just Mismatches,Size,Timpstamp,HTML, and then I want to save it or view in a browser.....I have another question about reporting ..How do I put this information into the script?? I have tried but it always hangs the script on this reporting line.

Filters??? None?
      I am trying to run it from a script.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The snapshot command won't record empty folders in the snapshot unless you have "no-filters" in the snapshot command.

The report command should look something like:
        folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-mismatches output-to:report.html output-options:html-color

If you're still having problems, please post your script.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Chris....
          That Report command is cool,
          In my report though what do files in red identify?

Technical Scope Meeting (May).ppt 2,975,744 16/05/2004 22:58:21 <> Technical Scope Meeting (May).ppt 2,978,304 16/05/2004 22:58:21

I have the above "side by side" in my report...(ALL IN RED)

The thing is under menu option Tools->Options Colors... I have nothing that should be showing red.
          Orphan files are BLUE
          Older Files are Light Green
          Newer/Different files are Dark Green

As you can see the date/time stamps of the file are the same but the file size is different (Slightly strange I think??)

Can you help please??

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

I'm not sure why you're getting red. The html report should pick up your color selection from Tools->Options Folder Viewer Colors.

Please email support with a copy of your script and a .zip of your bc settings using Help|Support and the export button so I can try to figure out what is going on.

Are you viewing the html in Internet Explorer, or are you using a different web browser?
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• ArminGross
              New User
              • Jun 2004

I am not sure, but I think I have a similar point. The problem are powerpoint files. They have the same time stamp on different directories (just by copying one file). But the size is changed. BC shows a difference in the header - very crazy. If the comparison is done by date only (uncheck size) than it works fine.

Comment

What I have found with Powerpoint files is that Powerpoint actually modifies a file if you just open the file and close it (No save). The date of the file is not changed, just the size of the file. I started noticing this issue with BC. Interesting that I have searched the Internet and not found anyone else complaining about this issue. The file that you opened is always bigger than the file that you didn't touch. I am guessing that MS is recording the fact that you accessed the file. (Office 2003).

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

I attempted to reproduce this with Office 2007 PP files. After very minimal edits (a single Test slide) and opening and closing a few times, I could not get the size or binary comparison to change.

That isn't to say it can't happen, as I have seen weirder done by Microsoft, it just does not happen 100% of the time.

You may also want to check if you have a 3rd party program running that is 'touching' the file whenever it is opened. It is odd that it would be touching the size of the file rather than the date, but perhaps it manually sets the date back, much like BC can 'touch' files for ftp transfers.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...