X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2007

Serv-U FTP Server changed behavior of MDTM command

v5 of RhinoSoft's Serv-U FTP Server has changed the behavior of the MDTM command to adhere to the newer FTP RFC that defines this behavior. I don't know the details of this RFC, but I do know that BC no longer works correctly with v5 Serv-U FTP servers.

To summarize the change, the MDTM command is now expected to pass the time in UTC time rather than in the FTP server's local time. There's a plus/minus value that has to be added to the command that represents the difference between UTC and the server's local time zone.

An example of the problem: I live in EST which is currently five hours behind UTC. When BC synchronizes with the server (copying files to the server), the files are timestamped incorrectly on the server with times that are five hours before the current EST time.

I'm writing this post for two reasons:

1) To make Scooter Software aware of this problem if they aren't already, and

2) To ask that they keep this in mind in the future as they make any changes to the FTP components of BC and, ideally, have a way for BC to work regardless of whether an FTP server uses the new way or the old way (possibly by checking the output of the FEAT command).

Thanks for your attention and consideration.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Serv-U FTP Server changed behavior of MDTM command

Thanks for the detailed writeup! We'll certainly keep this in mind when we update the FTP support again.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Pete
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2007

Re: Serv-U FTP Server changed behavior of MDTM command

It appears that BC is once again correctly updating timestamps on servers that are using the new versions of Serv-U. Thanks for this! I wasn't expecting a fix for this so soon.

Comment

Working...