Error on file refresh / Quick way to merge?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error on file refresh / Quick way to merge?

I'm comparing 2 text files, roughly 2MB in size each. When I hit F5 to refresh after starting to merge some changes, I get an exception. It did it the first six time I tried it, and now that I'm reporting it, I can't reproduce it.

I like what I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to trying out the Multi-Edit integration with v9.1. One thing that would be very useful to me is a quick way to 'Merge all unimportant changes' one way or the other. I'm trying to massage some files into shape, and getting the fluff differences out of the way quickly would make the real work a lot less time-consuming. Is there a way to do that, or is this a feature request?

All in all, I suspect I'll be parting with $30 pretty soon, if this works out as well as it appears to be so far.

Re: Error on file refresh / Quick way to merge?

Happened again:

Beyond Compare 2.1.2 (build 216)
    Exception occurred at 00000000
    Access violation at address 042DD198 in module 'BC2.exe'. Read of address 00000004.

Not too useful, I suspect, but there you have it. I also noticed that every so often on an F5, I'm prompted with a typical File|Save dialog for a filename to save the right file.

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Is the comparison still going on when you try refreshing it? There's a Cancel/Stop sign button in the toolbar, and a little LED-looking graphic in the lower left corner of the window that will flash while it's working. When comparing long files that file viewer will display the upper portion and allow editing before the comparison is done.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Nope; I hit F5 six times in succession without error. Even when it's mid-compare, it doesn't throw the error. I haven't found a particular pattern or way to reproduce it, yet, but if I do, I'll pass it along.

Comment

Working...