X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samiam
    New User
    • Feb 2004

Explorer shell (-like) integration?

BC2 has taken over a lot of the tasks I'd normally use the windows explorer for - basic day to day file management, copying, comparing, synching.
    But I have come to rely on a few shell extensions - especially the CVS commands Tortoise CVS provides, so I can add/commit/remove etc right there in the Explorer, with a visual (icon overlay) cue to status. (The same is true of Tortoise Subversion)
    Is there a way to have these same extensions available from within Beyond Compare? So, while in a folder comparison session, I would be able to right-click on a file and add/remove/commit - basically, to import or copy the extensions that Tortoise gave me.

I read through quite a lot of the forum archives, and keep seeing mention of a "version control page" ... where is that - does it cover my request?

thanks, Sam.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Explorer shell (-like) integration?

The version control page lists ways to call BC from various version control systems (as the external "diff" utility). It's here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?c=kb_vcs but it won't help in this circumstance.

In answer to your question though, no, right now it's not possible to use those extensions from within BC. We may eventually merge the Explorer menu into our "Actions" menu, but I'm not sure we'll ever support the other integration features (icon overlay, additional status columns, etc).
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• samiam
      New User
      • Feb 2004

Re: Explorer shell (-like) integration?

thanks for the reply, Craig.
      Just integrating the explorer menu would be at the top of my wish list - or providing a way for me to selectively add my own extensions there. The other Tortoise features are just niceties. I could see the need to set file permissions on a selection of files/folders, or send to an external application, etc.

My (unsolicited) opinion: Rather than making BC bloatware by adding this and every other feature request, I'd prefer more extensibility - to allow individual users to tweak BC to their own specific needs. I see Homesite and especially Dreamweaver as good models for this (those just being 2 applications I've used a lot.)

The ability to diff folders over ftp, in zips etc. make BC much more than just a file differencing tool. I'm a big fan of the philosophy that an application should do one thing and one thing well, but BC positions itself at the center of any workflow where you have to manage staging and production environments, or any selective and accurate distribution or duplication of a set of files. It's still a little limited for this role.

thanks,
      Sam

Comment

Working...