X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sootsnoot
    Visitor
    • Oct 2010

Unreadable Initial Config Wizard

Great program on Windows, trying the Linux version for the first time. Using Cygwin/X 1.8.2.0 for the X server on WinXP SP3. The Linux system is described as "Amazon Linux 0.9.8-beta" running in the Amazon EC2 cloud - I'm guessing it's derived from Centos 5, but I don't really know and I don't know how to find out.

I downloaded the BC3 evaluation rpm. First installation attempt gave:
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libXcursor.so.1 is needed by bcompare-3.1.11-12238.i386
    libXrandr.so.2 is needed by bcompare-3.1.11-12238.i386
    The goal of Amazon Linux is to provide minimal initial software, with a yum repository for easy installation of additional software. I did have to install xterm just to get going, so it wasn't surprising that these were not pre-installed. After installing the two missing dependencies with yum, the bcompare rpm installed cleanly.

But when I ran bcompare, the Initial Configuration Wizard came up with what looks like completely missing fonts, although there was no message logged either to the xterm or the X server logs on Windows in cygwin/tmp/ and cygwin//var/log/ I've attached a screen capture of the wizard.

In the absence of any messages, I'm stumped.
  • David
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2009

I agree - looks like missing fonts. You can change the font the BC will use by modifying the qtrc file that is distributed with BC. It will be found in /usr/lib/beyondcompare if installed as root or $HOME/.beyondcompare if installed as a user. You can copy the qtrc file to $HOME/.qt (might have to mkdir .qt), edit the qtrc file to change the font, and then try again.

David
    David J Scooter Software

Comment

Working...