X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyG
    Visitor
    • Jul 2010

Owner & Group preservation

I did a search and found some really old topics on this, but nothing recent. What I want to know is if there is a way in the Linux version of BC to maintain the owner and group on files and directories when mirroring filesystems. I am migrating directories from an old NAS to a new one, and I need that information to be retained. Any assistance would be appreciated.

At this point, when copying or mirroring a directory after finding all the differences, the files are copied over, but the owner and group is assigned as whatever user I am logged in as (usually root). This is odd since if I open two different directories on two different NAS units, and simply copy the files in the Unix GUI, the owner, group, and permissions are all retained.
    Last edited by JohnnyG; 27-Jul-2010, 10:52 AM.
  • JohnnyG
    Visitor
    • Jul 2010

In playing around a little, I noticed that a normal cp command from the command-line in Linux will exhibit the same behavior as BC is showing. However, adding a -p to the command will preserve the owner and group. I have to assume that the Linux version is using the cp command to copy changed files. Is there anyway to force it to add the -p argument to get it to accomplish what I need?

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Sorry, it isn't possible to change the permissions behavior in the current version of BC 3 for Linux. I added an option to preserve permissions during copy to our wish list for a future release.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...