X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnsogr
    New User
    • Dec 2003

Session settings storage location

We are using Windows 2000/XP. I would like to manage all of the BC2 sessions from one login. If I login to the PC and configure a session, and then another user logs into the same PC, using a different username, the person doesn't see the sessions we have setup for them.

I guess my question is, can we store the Session.bcse file in another folder where all of the users that login to the PC can access? Currently it is located in my profile folder.

Thanks for the great product, we just recently purchased your product and love it!!!

GJ
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Session settings storage location

There's actually two ways to do this, depending on the level of control that you want:
    1. Copy Rules.bcru and Session.bcse into your installation directory. Create an empty file named bc2.ini in the same directory. If you want to share it, you can also copy your registration key into a file named bc2.key.

That sets up a single directory mode. All of the users on that computer will use the same sessions, rules, and preferences. This is also a good way to run BC off a floppy or CD.
    2. 2.1: Use the new "Shared Sessions" option. In the Folder Viewer section of the Options dialog is an option to use a shared sessions file. That file is read every time BC starts, and it automatically merges those as locked sessions into the user's regular session list. This is a good way to share a set of sessions while still allowing everyone to have their own sessions and preferences too.

Shared sessions are locked during normal usage. To update the shared file or generate it in the first place use the new Export command.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• cshell
      New User
      • Apr 2010

No Longer Supported ?

We are using version 3.1.7 and it seems this single user mode is no longer supported ?

I tried the suggested changes with both the xml and the ini and it did not limit the application to a single user as suggested here.

Is there a way to replicate this behavior in 3.1.7 ? We are using this on a deployment computer and want all the sessions shared among any Developer that logs in.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Use the installer's "Create Portable Install" option, then import your BC2 settings using the Tools->Import Settings command. BC3 doesn't use the same files as BC2, so if you just copy them over it won't pick them up.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• casner
          Journeyman
          • Oct 2008

Just tried this going from my old XP machine to my new Win7 machine. Import locks up tight and will not respond to any input. This is the second try, and at least I could shut down the program. Yesterday it locked up the whole computer and I couldn't even shut down.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Casner,

What version of Beyond Compare are you using? Are you using "Tools > Export Settings" to save the settings to a file on the old machine and "Tools > Import Settings" to import the settings on the new machine?

If importing a specific settings file is hanging BC on your machine, please send us a copy of the settings file and we'll try to determine what is causing the problem. You can send the settings to [email protected].
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...