X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hindesite
    Journeyman
    • Dec 2003

Proxy Server / Firewall Settings

Is there any guidance you can provide on the Firewall and Proxy Server settings - especially with Firewall Types and PASV Mode? The Help text is a little lacking on it.

I have been using the FTP mode from home for my personal website, and it has been working well. (In fact, I now always use it instead of the old WS_FTP Lite my son installed.)
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Proxy Server / Firewall Settings

The different proxy types and settings are really dependant on your network configuration. If you needed to use one of those you'd have to get specific information from either your ISP or network administrator.

In the simple case where your firewall just doesn't allow incoming connections checking the PASV Mode option will usually be enough. You should try enabling PASV mode if you experience hangs when downloading or uploading files or when getting a directory listing.

FTP downloads actually involve two connections, one to transfer the commands and one to retrieve the data. Normally you send the command to download the file and the server opens the data connection to send the contents back. If your firewall doesn't allow external connections that will fail and the transfer will hang. In passive transfers (PASV), your computer makes the data connection, which allows it to get past the firewall.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...