X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfranchuk
    New User
    • May 2009

Team Foundation Server Integration Bug

I am working on an application that is written in VB6 and uses a lot of new VB .NET components. Visual Studio 6 only checks out files exclusively when working integrated with TFS. To get around that my team and I use the Team Explorer window in Visual Studio 2008 to check VB6 files in and out.

We quickly discovered that checking files in via Team Explorer does not check for changes on the server. A quick example would be 2 developers check out a single file using Team Explorer. Both make modifications, developer 1 checks in their changes first and then developer 2 checks their changes. I would expect TFS to prompt for a code merge. Instead it commits the changes from developer 2 and overwrites the changes from developer 1.

This stopped occurring once the Beyond Compare 3 plug-in was removed. Anyone else have this issue? Is there some additional configuration that I must perform?
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

We have BC3 Pro integrated with TFS (Team Explorer) and do not have an issue with 3-way merges. TFS appropriately warns on conflicts and allows us to resolve the conflicts in BC3.

What confuses me about your post is that TFS reports conflicts BEFORE trying to launch a merge engine...so I fail to see how having BC3 configured as the merge tool of choice could cause the problem you describe. Did you have it configured as described here:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs.php

Although it is not technically necessary, I also prefer to append /solo to the parameter list to force each version control compare or merge operation to occur in its own stand-alone instance of BC3.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...