X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RunnerBiker
    Expert
    • Feb 2008

MP3Compare is leaving Temp Files

There were more than 40,000 of these 1kb files in my ...\local settings\Temp folder.

It seems like BC3 or MP3Compare isn't cleaning up after itself.

The dates on the files were from as far back as last summer. I guess I need to pay more attention to my temp directories and clean them out more often.

===[ Update ]===
    Upon further investigation, it is not the MP3Compare function that is creating the temp files. They are created when I ask BC3 to Play the files from the Explorer:

Actions
    Explorer
    Play

or
    Actions
    Explorer
    Add to Windows Media Player list

Now the dilemma. The info is used to launch Windows Media Player (WMP) (probably for all Explorer functions) and then control is passed to the Explorer function. BC3 does not know when the Explorer function is done with the temp file so it doesn't know when it can safely delete it.

I just did an experiment:

Launch WMP to play File1. [Alt+A X P] One temp file is created.
    Add File 2 to the WMP play list. [Alt+A X W] One temp file is created. Now there are two temp files.
    Add File 3 to the WMP play list. [Alt+A X W] One temp file is created. Now there are three temp files.
    Add File 4 to the WMP play list. [Alt+A X W] One temp file is created. Now there are four temp files.

WMP is playing the first file and has 2,3 and 4 queued to play next.

I deleted all 4 temp files.
    WMP continued to play all four files. It evidently created its own playlist and doesn't need the temp files anymore.
    Last edited by RunnerBiker; 14-Apr-2009, 10:28 AM. Reason: More Information discovered
Working...