problems with ubuntu 8.10 kde4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikecar

problems with ubuntu 8.10 kde4

I am trying to run bc on ubuntu 8.10 with kde 4, and having the following issues (I installed from tar.gz) :

1. bc fails to start when run as a "normal" user, but *will* start when run as root. I open a shell, type sudo -s to become "root", and then bcompare, and it works. if I do not do sudo -s, it does not. it fails with the following errors:

Code:
    mike@junior:~$ bcompare
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(23858) kdemain: Reusing existing ksycoca
    kbuildsycoca4(23858) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Actions in "ServiceMenus/beyondcompare_select.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
    Runtime error 230 at 08085A59
    2. the shell integration seems to have issues. the scripts seem to look for a config directory named ".kde4" in my home dir, which does not exist. instead, the dir is named ".kde". I managed to work around that by creating a soft link from .kde to .kde4. this seems to make the context actions to appear in the file managers.

3. Help does not seem to work. I select "help" from the menu, and nothing happens. the error I get in the console that started bcompare is :

Code:
    sh: -c requires an argument
    these are the issues, so far. please help...
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Mike,

On Ubuntu, the easiest installer to use is the Debian (.deb) file from our web site. It should install everything in the correct location. You can just double click the .deb file to install it.

If you prefer to use the .tar.gz version, it can install for the current user or it can install for all users. If you are logged in as root, it will install for all users. If you are logged in with a normal user account, it will install under your home directory.

If it installed for just you, there should be a "/home/<username>/bin/bcompare" script that starts BC3 for Linux. If it installed for all users, it should be in "/usr/local/bin/bcompare".

Were your files installed under /home or /user/local/bin? If the files were installed under /home, are they owned by your user account or by root?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...