X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

How to do a one time binary copy?

I would like to know if it is possible to copy a file from a site to a local folder in binary mode, without changing settings, but only for one time. If it is not possible right now, please consider adding a menu entry that says "Copy in binary mode".

Thank You

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, Rodolfo. I've added this to our Customer Wishlist. For now, you would need to use Binary for those file types.

Do you run into issues with your FTP if it is set to use Binary instead of ASCII?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Sometimes, I see that a text file on a ftp site is different than the one that I have in a local folder. If I open them, they appear to be the same. So, I am just curious and I would like to download the file as it is, to do a binary comparison with hex viewer, for example.

Thank You again

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

You could go to the Tools menu -> FTP Profiles: Specific Profile
        Transfer tab
        Alter transfer type to be Binary; or ASCII types and remove Text to force binary transfers.

Are they determined "different" because their sizes do not match? You can run a Rules-based Content Comparison (which is the same as opening the two files in the Text Compare).

One big difference between the Binary and ASCII transfers is how line endings are going to be translated. So a binary transfer may reveal a difference if your server is storing UNIX line endings, and you originally uploaded as ASCII.

So, if you switch to Binary transfers under the Transfers tab, does that solution work for you?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...