X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom
    Expert
    • Oct 2007

Initial defaults

I wanted to pass along a suggestion while I think of it. Whenever I initially install BC (or now, Cirrus), one of the first things I always have to do is to change the ctrl-A keystroke to "select files" rather than selecting everything. Wouldn't this be a better default? Or would changing it confuse everybody?

What do people generally use ctrl-A for? There's a key combo to select everything (select the first item in the listview and do ctrl-shift-end) but there's no such Windows equivalent for selecting only files. Just a thought.
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Ctrl+A is the standard keyboard shortcut for "Select All" in all Microsoft Windows operating systems and most Windows apps. Changing the default would, indeed, be confusing.

Edit: How about Shift+Ctrl+A ?
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 14-Mar-2008, 12:39 AM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• RunnerBiker
      Expert
      • Feb 2008

I agree with Michael. Ctrl+A is used in too many other programs and utilities to mean select All.

How many times (excpet in a beta testing situation like this) do you have to re-set the definition? A new version of the program comes out every couple of years.

I change the meaning of Ctrl+L and Ctrl+R for the way I use BC and now Cirrus. I change them from Copy to Move. It's my personal preference and Cirrus lets me do it.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Tom, you didn't say why you used "Select All Files" so often, but if it has to do with file operations the changes in the most recent build may make the difference unnecessary. We have a video up that shows the new behavior: http://www.scootersoftware.com/cirru...tionPart1.html
        Last edited by Tim; 30-Mar-2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: updated video link
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Tom
          Expert
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Craig
          Tom, you didn't say why you used "Select All Files" so often, but if it has to do with file operations the changes in the most recent build may make the difference unnecessary.
          This is a situation where I do either a CRC or binary compare between a source and a burned DVD just to confirm a proper burn. (In particular, the CRC comparison is much faster than the burning software's more detailed check.) Following that, I often delete the source files after switching to [=] display mode.

Point taken that ctrl-A is an OS-wide standard. Ctrl-shift-A might be a worthwhile default for new installs since it's currently unused. I realize it's configurable and doesn't usually need to change. However, I remember when I was first learning how to use BC I would do the standard ctrl-A and manually go through deselecting all the subdirs (which sometimes contained a mix of matching and non-matching files or dirs).

Select All Files is in the menu, which is helpful (I found that first, and later changed the hotkey), but I just thought it'd be a handy option for newbies to already have a key assigned to this useful feature. After watching the new video, I can see where it might be less necessary, though.
          Last edited by Tom; 14-Mar-2008, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Erik
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

We'll make [Shift+Ctrl+A] the default for "Select All Files" in the next release.
            Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Tom
              Expert
              • Oct 2007

Sounds good, Erik -- thanks!

Comment

Working...